Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Standing Reload......WHY!?

Tinyvic77

Nothing will eat up time more than a standing reload, even more so with a dry gun.

I rarely plan on shooting 20 rounds without a mag change. Especially if there are alot of US poppers or plates on the course of fire, 1 or 2 misses and you are hosed. A mag change while moving takes no time at all. Never overload a mag as it will not function and you end performing a mag change anyway.

• 4 weeks later...

The worst is when you make a plan for reloads and because of a mental error (shooting an extra round where you didn't need it) you end up a round down on your first reload, then you run out by the end because you thought you would have 2 extra rounds at the end but reloaded 2 rounds early and took an extra shot.

The best part about Limited/Open is having a big option of where and when to reload. Having 25 in each stick and having a course of fire of 32 means you can load after an array of 8 and still have more than enough to finish. Even better if it's an array of 8 then 4 or 8 then 8 before the reload, this really gives you a buffer. Lim-10 really makes reloading positions and not taking extra shots unless you REALLY need to, all that more important to your overall score.

• 1 month later...

The worst is when you make a plan for reloads and because of a mental error (shooting an extra round where you didn't need it) you end up a round down on your first reload, then you run out by the end because you thought you would have 2 extra rounds at the end but reloaded 2 rounds early and took an extra shot.

I agree with your extra shot thought being a bad thing but how do you recover from this? The common one for me is the auto or revolver that got odd in the target array, running dry with one on paper hitting a beautiful reload and then moving on without doubling up. Is the best policy to shoot two on the target after the reload to get back even on the stage or do hicap shooters even consider this?

• 2 months later...

I am also fairly new at this and the one of the first lesson's taught was plan your re-loads and never let the gun run dry. I shoot production and on occasion open. With 10 in the mag you have to be conscience of your reloads, but I carry 4 mags on my belt and load my 5th. Depending on the round count I always try to leave 2 in the mag and reload while moving between the target arrays. As someone said it is free time. When you are carrying 20 plus rounds what is the benefit of taking a chance on running out on a stage. With 4 or 5 mags on your belt with 20 plus in them, why would you not reload freely during that free time and not go down to the last couple of rounds. When I shoot 3-gun and load 16 per mag I have even less worries about running dry, I will drop a 1/2 full mag between arrays and especially the last array just to make sure my round count is on and I didn't have a brain freeze. I try to never get to a group of targets with 1 or 2 rounds to spare at the end. It also gives you a cushion in case of a failure. This is all based on your gun running correctly.

I usually try and reload when moving. I have planned to go to slidelock a couple times as it saved the reload on a pretty quick course of fire. Was lucky that the steel was early one. If I had a miss on it, I had a reload point planned

Another important point is to plan your magazines according to the stage. My magazines are capable of holding 19, but 18 go in real easy.

The stage needed 18 rounds so I planned to shoot 12 then reload for the final 6 while moving to the 3rd array. The first shot went off and the mag dropped out of the bottom. Downloading the mag just a couple would have assured that the mag seated completely.

Proper planning would have been load a 19 round mag at the start and have 16 rounds in the second with a planned reload, or barney mag the start and hope to shoot it clean leaving me with 2 extras for just in case.