Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Kydex soft lining?

-JQ-

If I recall correctly, Safariland has a "soft" lining in some of their holsters.

Does anyone know what this material is?

Background: I'm planning to make a custom kydex shell/case for an SLR camera and lenses. I was wondering what the best material would be to use as a lining. This is going to be inserted in a day pack so I'm hoping really to just give some extra protection for my gear.

Any insights would be welcome...

Thanks in advance

Joel,

I'd probably just grab some Domke inserts or Domke wraps and call it a day --- but I always preferred some level of padding/soft cases to hard cases....

You're probably going to have more of an effect on your gear by being careful where/how you set it down, than you will by designing "super-duper" protection....

Thanks Nik the wraps are a great idea.

My "backpack" camera bag sux for extended periods > 5 minutes really. So I bought a large Camelback and will be converting it for my gear for an upcoming trip -- and it doesn't yell "camera bag!"

Thanks Nik the wraps are a great idea.

My "backpack" camera bag sux for extended periods > 5 minutes really. So I bought a large Camelback and will be converting it for my gear for an upcoming trip -- and it doesn't yell "camera bag!"

Wraps are good for bodies, if you can fit Domke inserts for lenses, they may work better for both glass and flash units....

Between the two, you should be able to figure something out. Domke might also have big inserts available -- i.e. big enough to fit a 1D body or a 40D with a grip....

Yeah its a suade leather of some variety. My Hellweg kydex is lined with it also. Back when i was making holsters I used a pigskin garment leather that is available from Tandy leather. Very soft and supple. Bonded well with gel type contact cement with no bleed thru.

Tucker Gun Leather (can be found by internet search) makes two versions of kydex holster with a leather lining (Silent Thunder). They make great stuff. Hope this helps someone.

Disregard. Just noted you are looking to make a custom case for a camera. If nothing else check the Tucker site as maybe the thin leather they bond to there Kydex is an idea you could use. They must use some type of contact cement as when new the holster had a strong aromatic hydrocarbon smell.

Edited by pmclaine