Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 Prob

I have recurring problems on my super 1050 loading .223, specifically primer seating. Thought it might be a combination of mil crimped brass and some worn out parts. Uniformed all the primer pockets on the brass and changed out all the parts on the 1050. Still getting smeared seating or sideways primers in the primer slide. Made the table rigid to eliminate smearing and finnally inspected primer punch. It was bent so I replaced it. Now I have even worse problems with every other primer falling sideways into primer slide. Primer tube nip is new as well.

Is my primer slide bunged and need to be replaced or is it that CCI makes primers slightly out of spec?

Another thing to look at, check the distance between the white triangle 'thingy' and the case.

I was having problems with seating once, Dillon told me to make the distance, the thickness of a business card. Cases were not in their correct position, as they came up, they hit an edge too early and flipped.

Jim.. is that more of a gizmo than a thingy? lol

Gizmo...thingy ...doodad :roflol:

What ever you call the little Booger :roflol:

It has been the most responsible for priming issues on my press :rolleyes:

Im thinkin it has a real name...but all the above works for me :lol:

Jim

Check for trash impeding/holding the primer slide from full travel....? I have had a spent primer somehow get wedged in the primer slide channel and make the stroke "just a hair" to short....

I adjust the little plastic triangle "gizmo" to touch the brass when it comes into position over the primer loader punch.

Double checked everything looks good. The swing arm that activates the primer slide needed to be aligned. Did this by loosening then rotating toolhead counterclockwise then retightening.

Same deal.

<Argh>

I separated the crimped brass (that was uniformed) from the uncrimped. All uncrimped brass ran through it like a champ. I figure not matter what you do to crimped brass like reaming and uniforming, I will have probs. I can see little ringlets of brass from bad seated primers. I know Dan Seripina has a counter sink doohickie that takes out the flange entirely on the primer pocket rim. Cant find a manufacturer that makes one of those. Tossing all the Lake City brass.

Did you cut (section) a piece of the LC brass and then adjust your swage setting?

Lake City is good stuff. Don't toss it - Sell it.

But wasn't that for a 650 and the question is for a 1050?

Alan

Woops...wacko.gif

Edited by Merlin Orr

Yes I did. Cut in half with dremel. Swageing, reaming and uniforming dont seem to work. Dan uses a 60 degree countersink to take out the flange or crimp lip that is usually left over. I think the CCI primers may be a source of the fits and this may fix it.

I had similar problems with Wolf primers, and didnt have the swage rod adjusted correctly. I would find some of the offending brass and increase the swage until you have primers fit better. Just something to try. Once I got it adjusted (LC brass as well....) I was very happy. Keep at it, and good luck!

DougC