Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Is Idpa?

JohnRodriguez

Until the rule change the rule change at the beginning of this year, I was going to join the IDPA and shoot in the revolver division with my S&W M625 mountain gun in 45 Long Colt converted for moonclip use. This is my real everyday carry gun, I won't trust my life to speed loaders, but since the rule change I dropped the idea of joining IDPA, even if it is to get some more trigger time. In the mean time I like to look at this forum and see what's going on and what the new topic is about. One thing that really stands out this fact that everyone seems to argue over what is IDPA? a shooting sport? is it the real world? or is it both combined???

I'm going to give you a example and its something that Brian Enos and other people who have studied martial arts could relate to. About 15 years ago I was in college and one hobbie(sport) I did was kickboxing, mainly a training partner for a professional kickboxer in the same town where I attended college, my best freind was a Chinese Kenpo instructor (UKF) at the same school, and that's how I got involved with Kenpo and kickboxing.

About 5 years ago my best friend was and still is living in chandler Az and helping teach at Tom Procters school in Mesa Az. Tom is a instructor/fighter for what is know as cage fighting, which combines jujitsu, kickboxing and many other forms of martial arts. anyways, I had went to the school to see a event and meet Tom at the end of matches, and he asked me what I thought of the fighting style. I told him that it was ok for one on one fighting but would be usless in a bar fight (or seems to me). He asked why I thought that? my reasoning is that if you are on the ground trying to break someone's arm, that someones friend(s) would more that likely be trying to punt your head thru the goal. Thats off the reasons my friend was at the school helping teach the fighters how to fight on there feet. Kenpo is basically a extreme form of barfighting.

Why is IDPA making all these silly rules that don't apply to real life? when real life is anything and everything you can get your hands on?

If it's a shooting "sport" than stop camparing it to real life

John

Ever been in a bar or a group of people and had someone in close proximity to you start talking in an unpopular/inappropriate/dangerous manner and see the part of the group back away (eyes getting bigger and in condition red) and others come closer, fists clenched and their eyes narrowing.... :D:D:D (insert backing away icon).

Until the rule change the rule change at the beginning of this year, I was going to join the IDPA and shoot in the revolver division with my S&W M625 mountain gun in 45 Long Colt converted for moonclip use. This is my real everyday carry gun, I won't trust my life to speed loaders, but since the rule change I dropped the idea of joining IDPA, even if it is to get some more trigger time.  In the mean time I like to look at this forum and see what's going on and what the new topic is about.  One thing that really stands out this fact that everyone seems to argue over what is IDPA? a shooting sport? is it the real world? or is it both combined???

I'm going to give you a example and its something that Brian Enos  and other people who have studied martial arts could relate to.  About 15  years ago I was in college and one hobbie(sport) I did was kickboxing, mainly a training partner for a professional kickboxer in the same town where I attended college, my best freind was a Chinese Kenpo instructor (UKF) at the same school, and that's how I got involved with Kenpo and kickboxing.

About 5 years ago my best friend was and still is living in chandler Az and helping teach at Tom Procters school  in Mesa Az.  Tom is a instructor/fighter for what is know as cage fighting, which combines jujitsu, kickboxing and many other forms of martial arts.  anyways, I had went to the school to see a event and meet Tom at the end of matches, and he asked me what I thought of the fighting style.  I told him that it was ok for one on one fighting but would be usless in a bar fight (or seems to me).  He asked why I thought that? my reasoning is that if you are on the ground trying to break someone's arm, that someones friend(s) would more that likely be trying to punt your head thru the goal.  Thats off the reasons my friend was at the school helping teach the fighters how to fight on there feet.  Kenpo is basically a extreme form of barfighting.

Why is IDPA making all these silly rules that don't apply to real life? when real life is anything and everything you can get your hands on? 

If it's a shooting "sport" than stop camparing it to real life

Yet another IDPA basher who has never shot an IDPA match- I WOULD say don't let the door hit ya, but you never even came in.............

John

Ever been in a bar or a group of people and had someone in close proximity to you start talking in an unpopular/inappropriate/dangerous manner and see the part of the group back away (eyes getting bigger and in condition red) and others come closer, fists clenched and their eyes narrowing.... :D:D:D (insert backing away icon).

I use to be one of the gorilla's that would have thrown that someone out of the bar, to answar you question yes I have been in that situation.

Yet another IDPA basher who has never shot an IDPA match- I WOULD say don't let the door hit ya, but you never even came in.............

I don't belive that I bashed IDPA with my question, and I have still toyed with the idea of shooting a match with my revolver when someone comes to there senses about some of the rules.

this would be IDPA bashing: IDPA and it's rule's are like a bunch of kids in the playgound playing any kind of sport you can think of, when someone can't win, they go off and change the rules on you, and all you can do is play by there rules, learn to beat them again by the new rules and they'll just change the rules on you down the road.

Nothing personal but read the response you gave my question.

John,

You are talking out of one side of your mouth about how real world you want to be, and talking about playing to win out of the other. Your post was definitely IDPA bashing. You should choose wether you want to be a tactabilly or a gamer- then argue like one. As it stands, you sound like a run of the mill IDPA basher, and worst of all, you have no experience to base your bashing on. Why don't you come out and shoot a match? bet you would have a good time.