Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S2: light pin spring sudden light primer strikes.

Flyingpig

Hey guys,

Ive been running my shadow 2 now for about 3k rounds with a CGW 11.5# hammer spring with a CGW light pin spring and stock firing pin. I've been using Bazer brass 124gn factory ammo the whole time and it has been running pretty well. Maybe 2 light strikes over the 3k rounds. Since receiving a new batch of Blazers  I've had 6 or 7 light stikes in about 300 of those rounds. The fp seems to be riding very low in the gun (almost flush) with the pin stop, but I seem to remember it always being that way. I'm wondering if any of you think it might be time for a new firing pin spring or is it more likely  I've got a batch of ammo (CCI) with some unusually hard primers? This problem has really only started with the last order of ammo I've received. How many rounds is a good rule of thumb for replacing a light pin spring ? Thanks.

7 minutes ago, oteroman said:

Extended firing pin installed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

No. I've been running it with the stock firing pin and up until now it has been running just fine. Maybe 2 light strikes in the last 3 thousand rounds.

I'm wondering if the pin spring may have compressed enough that its not pushing the pin all the way up through  the pin stop.

And go figure theres a great indoor match coming up in exactly one week. I'd love to figure this out in a hurry. maybe I should just go ahead and order some new pin springs and the extended pin?

Edited by Flyingpig

Went ahead and ordered an extended firing pin. Hopefully that will be the answer. we shall see.

Really would rather not go back to the 13# hammer spring. I was liking the 11.5# a lot. It made a big difference in DA pull.

Edited by Flyingpig

I’m running a S2 with a 11.5lb hammer spring, 11lb recoil spring, reduced power trigger return spring, extended firing pin with reduced power firing pin spring and the short reset kit and haven’t had any problems with Winchester small pistol primers. Keep the firing pin channel clean and check the fp spring regularly. I keep the fp and channel dry as wet lube will slow down the fp. 

23 minutes ago, HI5-O said:

Yup, because Federal’s are always out of stock. 

So the OP is using factory ammunition. He/She has no control over which primer they use short of buying another brand. Blazer and CCI are owned by the same company so the chances of getting hard primers, as noted, is very high. The 11.5# main spring is not reliable unless you buy soft primers and use them exclusively.

You're free to do whatever you want but if you want to shoot matches and not worry about light strikes then a heavier mainspring is a better idea. Personally, I think you (the royal you) should religiously run an 8.5# hammer spring and CCI primers so I can stop practicing and still win.

Edited by 858

2 hours ago, 858 said:

So the OP is using factory ammunition. He/She has no control over which primer they use short of buying another brand. Blazer and CCI are owned by the same company so the chances of getting hard primers, as noted, is very high. The 11.5# main spring is not reliable unless you buy soft primers and use them exclusively.

You're free to do whatever you want but if you want to shoot matches and not worry about light strikes then a heavier mainspring is a better idea. Personally, I think you (the royal you) should religiously run an 8.5# hammer spring and CCI primers so I can stop practicing and still win.

Uhhhh.......did I nick a nerve or something???

Just saying what set up works for my gun. You don’t need to worry about me, I hardly practice anyway.