Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Creeping: how to proceed

zzt

Since there seems to be a variety of opinions out there, I want to pose this question to you ROs.

You are running the timer,  Your shooter is creeping and you see it well before the beep.  Do you beep anyway and assign a procedural, or do you issue another Make Ready command and restart?

6 hours ago, StratRider said:

I stop the shooter, especially on a Tier 1 / local match.

Having been on both sides of this, I'll let is slide the first time.  If they do it after the first warning, then I'll assume they are trying to jump the timer and earned a penalty.

Yeah, help the shooter understand the rules, etc

Level 2 and up I would give you a procedural.

I'm going to follow the rules, and wait until the shooter resumes the start position, then say "are you ready" again. 

I'm not here to try to give procedurals.  I'm also not going to put up with anyone creeping. 

As such, I'm not going to beep someone just so that I can give a procedural.  If they do it more than once, we are going to stop, have a brief talk into front of everyone that creeping is against the rules and that once the "are you ready" command has been given the shooter needs to stop moving, and then we are going to make ready again.

I don't care what level of match it is.  I'm going to RO according to the rules.

Last part of rule 7.1:

"If the competitor is moving prior to the start signal,
he shall be stopped and restarted once still and in the correct start
position. In the event that the RO cannot stop the competitor prior to
the start signal, the competitor will incur a 3 second penalty."

If I haven't given the start signal and can stop myself, I'll stop and we'll restart.  I'm NOT going to let my personal opinion about the shooter (and their actions) change how I'm following the rules.

1 hour ago, Thomas H said:

I'm going to follow the rules, and wait until the shooter resumes the start position, then say "are you ready" again. 

I'm not here to try to give procedurals.  I'm also not going to put up with anyone creeping. 

As such, I'm not going to beep someone just so that I can give a procedural.  If they do it more than once, we are going to stop, have a brief talk into front of everyone that creeping is against the rules and that once the "are you ready" command has been given the shooter needs to stop moving, and then we are going to make ready again.

I don't care what level of match it is.  I'm going to RO according to the rules.

Last part of rule 7.1:

"If the competitor is moving prior to the start signal,
he shall be stopped and restarted once still and in the correct start
position. In the event that the RO cannot stop the competitor prior to
the start signal, the competitor will incur a 3 second penalty."

If I haven't given the start signal and can stop myself, I'll stop and we'll restart.  I'm NOT going to let my personal opinion about the shooter (and their actions) change how I'm following the rules.

Perfect!