Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

# Rounds cleaned from dry media?

IGOTGLOCKED

On ‎10‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 7:20 AM, kneelingatlas said:

Wow, you guys are spending a lot more time on brass than I do.

Same here. Dillion CV dry tumbler with 50/50 walnut & corn. Clean about 500 at a time for about 2 hours and they come out shinny and clean. Yes, the inside of the case does not get cleaned using this method, but I have never had a failure due to this. I get about 5-7K rounds out of a batch of media and then renew.

1 hour ago, 191138sc said:

Same here. Dillion CV dry tumbler with 50/50 walnut & corn. Clean about 500 at a time for about 2 hours and they come out shinny and clean. Yes, the inside of the case does not get cleaned using this method, but I have never had a failure due to this. I get about 5-7K rounds out of a batch of media and then renew.

I tumble for 3-4 hours and am using up my lizard litter.  I like the larger walnut or corn cob media and have been using Frankford's brass cleaner.  I tried and still have some Lyman solution I do not like as much and have tried the turtle wax stuff as well and did not like that either.  

After this media is done, I am considering going to the wet method, I know its does not make a difference for my shooting of pistol brass but I like working with the bright shiny stuff and I would like my smaller batches of match rifle brass to look even better, so I will deprime before tumbling and that will look great with the wet options

5 hours ago, TonytheTiger said:

Hmmm...

I'm way behind you guys, I've got at least 40k (conservative estimate) of pistol and rifle brass on the same batch of corn cob.

How many in a batch and how long are the batches taking when nearing that number?

How often and how much of what do you mix in?

Thx!

Probably around 300 in a batch with 2-3 drops of Frankfort polish for 2-3 hours. The pistol rounds get another 10 minutes after loading to remove case lube and rifle brass gets tumbled a little after resizing for the same reason.

On 10/13/2017 at 8:35 PM, TonytheTiger said:

Probably around 300 in a batch with 2-3 drops of Frankfort polish for 2-3 hours. The pistol rounds get another 10 minutes after loading to remove case lube and rifle brass gets tumbled a little after resizing for the same reason.

Wow, perhaps it's the polish?

I use a mixture of 60/40 corn blast/Lyman treated corncob, and when it takes 4 hrs to clean, I dump it and use fresh.

Not worth the effort to clean, as it's cheap enough.

Most likely I clean 40000 +.

On 10/14/2017 at 9:09 PM, TonytheTiger said:

Who knows. They get plenty shiny for me, not wet tumbled shiny mind you, but shiny enough.

True but look at a wet cleaned case with a magnifying glass and looks how it chews up the casing...

On 10/15/2017 at 5:53 AM, RePete said:

I use a mixture of 60/40 corn blast/Lyman treated corncob, and when it takes 4 hrs to clean, I dump it and use fresh.

Not worth the effort to clean, as it's cheap enough.

Most likely I clean 40000 +.

Agreed, not sure I would afford the time either...

27 minutes ago, TonytheTiger said:

I've heard of necks getting peened over when guys forget the tumblers running too long.

Interesting, guess it's still whatever one is willing to accept as an end result...

Cheers brother!

• 4 weeks later...
6 hours ago, moparnut88 said:

I use a 50/50 blend of rice with corncob with a little bit of nu finish. Has any one else tried using rice? A local gm told me he uses it and has for years. Seems to work great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Didn’t come close to cleaning with walnut then polishing with corncob and thinned NF.

Didn’t come close to cleaning with walnut then polishing with corncob and thinned NF.

I could see that. I just don't have the time for that many steps. I like to tumble in one machine then load. My brass is no where near as shiny as some of yours but it's plenty shiny for my uses.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk