Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Chokes for 1301

EvaninMS

Just joined here, first time posting, but I've read here a lot lately. I just bought a Beretta 1301 24", and everywhere I read everyone is recommending Briley or Carlson's chokes, but not the ones made by Beretta. Is there anything wrong with the Beretta OEM extended chokes? The price difference isn't all that much,  and I've always thought it wise to buy the ones that were made to go with the gun, by the same people who made the gun when possible.

9 hours ago, Hanchey said:

Factory chokes work fine

They do work fine, but if your tube sticks out past your barrel they can be a pain to change. I bought Carlson's extended chokes for my 1301. No need for a wrench, just screw them out with your fingers. 

1 hour ago, blacklab said:

They do work fine, but if your tube sticks out past your barrel they can be a pain to change. I bought Carlson's extended chokes for my 1301. No need for a wrench, just screw them out with your fingers. 

That pretty much sums it up.

On 9/17/2017 at 9:43 PM, blacklab said:

I have Beretta Extended factory chokes that only need 1/4 turn with wrench but hardly ever use it just hand tightened.

Beretta makes extended Optima HP chokes. I get why people recommend extended chokes, I have the 24" model with nordic +5, so my tube is about an inch and a half past my barrel, I was just curious why no one seems to use the beretta brand chokes. They are only a couple dollars more than the others, and when it comes to this kind of thing, I much prefer to use factory brand stuff when possible. Just got the skeet choke. It is exactly as advertised. I like to have most of whats available for a barrel, at least skeet through IM, so I started open. Haven't shot it yet, but i highly doubt I will have any problems. Haven't before with anything that said beretta

http://www.gamaliel.com/berettaoptimachokes/beretta_optima_choke_extended_12_gauge.asp

• 2 weeks later...

Went with a Nordic +5 and the Beretta Optima HP extended chokes, nearly the full line, buying them when on sale. All work great.

As far as "having to buy a wrench"  my 1301 came with the choke wrench in the original packaging. I find using it for a quarter turn or so, as mentioned above, was all that has been needed. 

• 6 months later...

Nope...just price.  If I can buy an equal quality product for less I will.  That's more $ for ammo...or whatever other mods I need to have done.  This hobby is expensive enough already.  :D