Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

New vs Old brass questions

Idoktr

I keep my Supercomp in fired batches.... so the old gets shot at matches and the new gets practiced with a bunch before it's makes it to the "old pile."

I usually have about 3k pieces in practice ammo rotation and one box of "oldest brass." 

For bullseye, I use 2000 pieces of same headstamp brass at a time.  I use all of them, then reload, and repeat.  Once I get to ten reloads, I throw them into the mixed HS bin and use them for pin and plate competitions.  I do get some of that brass back.

I used to do the same for 40sw with mixed HS brass, but don't now.  One I started shooting a lot of lost brass matches, I went through brass like lightning.  Now I load once-fired and leave them.  If I'm at the practice range, I retrieve the empties, clean them and throw them in with the once-fired.  Before I started doing that, I had a batch of 2000 than went 10 reloads with no change in performance.

I don't think you will have any problems mixing the old and new brass.

3 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

If you want to take the time keep it in a separate lot. So you know it's the newer. Or

Just add it to the pile and when a primer pocket is too loose put it in the practice bin

2 minutes ago, Hi-Power Jack said:

Good idea to keep them separate, but I just cannot master the plan.

Yes and Amen!