Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1050 wont seat bullets straight

Hoping someone can help me on this one. I have loaded over 50k .40 with my current setup without issue.

Current setup: Dillon dies with redding competition seating die and Lee FCD.

Bullets are not seating straight and bulged out on one side where the base of bullet is at in the brass.

I have tried 4 seating dies and nothing has changed. Happens with four different bullet profiles and brands.

I'm starting to think something is wrong on the press. The tool head tilts slightly to the rear when it bottoms out at the downstroke.

I don't know what on the press would cause the tool head to tilt. I'm starting to wonder if that's normal but my shellplate is bent?

What bullet? What seater stem? What case expander/powder funnel? Did you set up the seater dies with cases in the other die stations? 

I don't own a 1050 but I've had that problem in single stage, turret, and progressive presses. Some of the causes were the bullet nose bottoming out inside the seater stem, seating too deep for the bullet weight/profile, not enough case flair, case expansion not deep enough, or dies tightened without cases in all of the dies. My current setup for 9mm and .40 is an XL650 with all Dillon dies. The seater is reamed to clear all bullet noses and a DAA powder funnel for case expansion. I have full sets of Lee, Redding, and RCBS pistol dies that I have swapped around and I can reproduce the problem with every brand. The dillon seater was the easiest to modify and the easiest to clean which is why I use it over a Redding micro. The DAA powder funnel gave the most obvious benefits in concentricity but new 10mm Starline brass sticks to it like crazy, .40 range brass should be fine.

A possible "cure" would be a Hornady New Dimension seating die with the "floating cylinder" that helps keep the bullet aligned.

1) Are you placing the bullet on the case "square" and ensuring it isn't moving as the ram goes up? Are you pushing the bullet slightly into the case to be sure it doesn't move?

2) You need to properly expand the case (not talking case mouth flare)

3) You need more case mouth flare, most likely, and MAY need to get a Lyman M-die of proper dimensions to properly expand the case

4) Have you tried getting a CUSTOM seating stem, say from Lee so it doesn't cost much, and ask for the seating stem to NOT touch the meplat and to contact as low down the ogive as possible?

How loose/tight is the shell plate?  Too much wobble?

Generally speaking, when I've encountered similar issues in the past, and had the correct seating stem for the bullet profile installed, I found it helpful to run through the machine set-up procedures as outlined in the owner's manual.  Occasionally I found that something on the list was loose, out of adjustment, etc.

And while running through the complete list may not have been the most efficient fix, it always worked....

3 hours ago, noylj said:

A possible "cure" would be a Hornady New Dimension seating die with the "floating cylinder" that helps keep the bullet aligned.

I use them on my Dillons.  I added the micrometer head so I could get back to the right seating depth when I change bullets.  Less expensive than the Redding and works well for me. 

Your tool head should not be angled towards the back.  On my 1050 the tool head is a very tight fit to the ram and it remains parallel to the shell plate during it's entire movement.  I would check to insure that the tool head is "bottomed out" on the ram and the securing bolt is tight.  When I tightened the bolt I do it when the tool head is at the bottom of the stroke.

The tool head was hitting because of the roller bearing upgrade. Cut a little off the screws and fixed that problem.

turns out the powder through expander was getting stuck at the top of stroke and the next piece of brass would get expanded in a oval. Tightened down the powder return spring and good to go.