Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Getting rid of the Glock bulge without U die

sstephns

1 hour ago, jhgtyre said:

It would help if you understood the difference between a lubed case and a lubed cartridge.  In my previous post I even included that image that you have now posted twice.  Just quit saying "lubed cases" and you'll be all set. 

You lube the case to size it, and if you load this lubed case you have a lubed cartridge.

The warning I posted states to remove the lube from the "CASES".

What came first, the chicken or the egg?

The cartridge doesn't grip the chamber walls, the case grips the chamber walls reducing bolt thrust.

Edited by bigedp51

6 hours ago, bigedp51 said:

And the poster IHAVEGAS stated he did not remove the lube from his cases before firing them.

It would help if you read all the postings before being redundant.:rolleyes:

oillube-1.jpg

You have only said two things I fully understand.

Dont believe faceless forum posters. 

You you had posts removed by another forums moderator.

i choose to NOT LISTEN to your crap and I completely understand you getting in trouble on forums as you are talking down to people on this forum including moderators.

i don't even own a reloading manual. I get all my load data for 9MAJOR from random internet posters.

14 minutes ago, Sarge said:

i don't even own a reloading manual. I get all my load data for 9MAJOR from random internet posters.

And I have dozens of manuals and read them and the instruction manuals that come with my firearms.

And any oil, grease or water in the chamber will prevent the case from gripping the chamber walls.

And the images I posted are not faceless screen names, they came from the reloading manuals and firearm manuals that some of you are not reading.

Edited by bigedp51

Not sure that 9mm vs 308 (for example) is really apples and apples.

Sort of like back when the engineering student used long accepted aviation science to prove that bees can't fly (formulas do not work for bees because they do not account for surface tension of air effectively increasing the wingspan). When you try to scale up or down you do not always get the results you are expecting, for r&d projects I think the rule of thumb is do not scale down farther than 5:1 .

• 5 weeks later...
On 5/27/2017 at 6:43 AM, IHAVEGAS said:

Not sure that 9mm vs 308 (for example) is really apples and apples.

Sort of like back when the engineering student used long accepted aviation science to prove that bees can't fly (formulas do not work for bees because they do not account for surface tension of air effectively increasing the wingspan). When you try to scale up or down you do not always get the results you are expecting, for r&d projects I think the rule of thumb is do not scale down farther than 5:1 .

Correct.  308 rifle chamber pressures and brass shape quite different than pistol.  Also, a semi-auto rifle bolt operates differently than a tilting barrel recoil semi-auto pistol.  If lube would cause such a problem on a pistol cartridge, imagine what problems changing to a lighter recoil spring would cause.  Not saying for certain without testing that there may not be a similar condition with semi-auto pistol cartridges, but citing rifle cartridge data to prove something on a completely different design does not prove anything.

Edited by sitw

On 5/26/2017 at 10:36 PM, bigedp51 said:

And I have dozens of manuals and read them... 

...which doesn't mean you fully understand them or contextualize them properly.

The warnings you are reading, as someone pointed out, are about lubing ammo after it's manufactured.  Those warnings in manuals predate carbide sizing dies.  That means that near 100% of the ammo at the time these warnings were originally written had their cases sized with lube, which in turn means that no one should interpret from those warnings that lube shouldn't be used in sizing.  Again, those warnings are about lubing ammo after it's manufactured, which is not part of this thread.

What you're posting has nothing to do with the sparing application of case lube to assist in sizing.

Actually, the lube prohibition originates from a fear of contaminating primers - which is rather rare. Lubing cases makes them last longer with fewer cracks and less stretching. I would not lube them in a dirty or gritty condition but normal range conditions - lube away.

But, everyone has an opinion.

3 hours ago, jc91087 said:

Are we talking case lube or gun lube? 

You do not want any case lube left on your loaded cases. You also do not want any oil or grease in your chamber, this is because the case lube or oil prevents the case from gripping the chamber walls and this increases the rearward thrust on the bolt or your pistols slide.

This isn't my opinion, you are warned about this in every reloading manual and your firearm manuals. And with a dry chamber and cartridge when the chamber pressure drops the case releases it grip from the chamber walls and springs back from the chamber walls and is ejected. And if the case has sizing lube on it or if there is water, oil or grease in the chamber the force on the bolt face or slide is doubled.

Excessive bolt thrust is what caused the AR15 bolt below to fail.

PijdpgS.jpg 

Below is from the H.P. White Testing Laboratory on firearm failures.

"1.4 Failure of a gun assembly from internal pressure may be from either
of two (2) failure mechanisms.

1.4.1 The general perception is that those failures are the result
of a single exposure to a CATASTROPHIC PRESSURE level. This
may be an over simplification in that the strength of the
assembly may have been degraded by previous repeated exposures
to excessive, but lesser, levels of pressure whose cumulative
effect is to reduce the ultimate strength of the assembly.

1.4.2 Repeated exposure to pressures which exceed the elastic limit
of a material will continually reduce the ultimate strength of
the material until the ultimate strength is exceeded by a
relatively low pressure level causing fatigue failure."

Bottom line, "WHY" pound your firearms harder when all you need to do is keep your ammo and chamber dry and free of any oil or lube.

Edited by bigedp51