Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

First shot miss?

TexasShootR

What could be the cause of this shot grouping? My thought is the sight is off a bit plus the barrel has got lots of wear. On a four shot group the first shot goes far right and high. On the follow up shots lower left. If i let the gun cool down a couple of minutes between targets this is what happens. Aim point is always center red taking dead aim maybe 2-3 seconds per shot at 18 yards. 

Thanks,

By the way this is a 4 year old Cameron gun with maybe 35, 40 thousand shots fired.

IMG_2318.JPG

Edited by TexasShootR

There's a theory that the FIRST shot fired from a semi-auto usually

hits somewhere different than the rest of the shots ...

Two ideas:

1.  fire the first shot into the berm and see what happens

2.  shoot one 12-15 shot group (instead of three 5-shot groups)    :)

Lock up issue. There was just a thread about this. The gun locks up different when fired as opposed to being hand racked.

Try firing one into the berm before checking groups and see if it goes away

Just "slingshot" the slide when clambering a round. The cycling of the gun when fired is different than racking the slide and chsmbering a round. Your problem is fairly common I think. 

Just my .02¢

? How far are you shooting groups?

Are you shooting free hand or off a rest? .
Is it going to make a difference , lets say shooting that won't make a difference under match conditions

I.e. you can't shoot a round into the back before a stage run etc.

if it's a real problem. i.e. can't hit a 6" plate on your first shot at 15 -20 yds with a center hold then get a new barrel installed by a "good" smith like Bedell so the gun hits POA vs POI on the first shot when it's racked into the chamber.

End of comment

Edited by jcc7x7

8 hours ago, TexasShootR said:

let's assume that I have a lock up problem. What should I look for? 

I've never actually tested it in any of my semi-autos, but I've read it is very common,

so I'd assume that you actually have it.

Not much to "look for" - your first shot will hit few inches from your later shots, if the

theory's true (Massad Ayoob got this one started I think 40 years ago - I'm not even sure

if it's true.   I think it might just be Massad's way of justifying dropping any flyers from his

group so he can report superb group sizes    :D).

If it is a problem for you, do what I do - I load the gun and fire the first shot into the

berm and then place another cartridge in the mag so I'm fully loaded, and the

cartridge in the chamber is NOT the first shot - won't have the problem.

If I can't do that, I don't worry too much, because the 1st round doesn't seem to

be too far off for most practical uses of a handgun.    :) 

On 5/3/2017 at 9:09 PM, jcc7x7 said:

? How far are you shooting groups? About 18 yards

Are you shooting free hand or off a rest? . Shooting off rest
Is it going to make a difference , lets say shooting that won't make a difference under match conditions

I.e. you can't shoot a round into the back before a stage run etc.

if it's a real problem. i.e. can't hit a 6" plate on your first shot at 15 -20 yds with a center hold then get a new barrel installed by a "good" smith like Bedell so the gun hits POA vs POI on the first shot when it's racked into the chamber.

End of comment

Guys I appreciate your views and for taking the time to help with possible reasons why my gun shoots this way. TBH I have never heard of having a lock up problem. I was thinking the barrel was getting wear and after the first shot the barrel would heat up, thus making the barrel tighter through heat and the trajectory would change. Today I talked with a very reputable gunsmith here near me and he asked about my ammo. He suggested I try a known good ammo like MG. I hadn't thought of that but MG is what I started shooting through this gun but changed for a lower costing round. I've been shooting this bullet for a couple years, always having pretty good accuracy.  But I have not checked for accuracy in sometime now, until last Saturday when I shot and had the worst match of my life ( long story but came in dead last at the Texas Open ?  ). Anyway I'm still leaning towards a barrel problem but I'm no expert and appreciate all advice. 

Thanks,

joe

Believe I got the cold versus hot backwards, cold would be tighter hot looser, I think.

Edited by TexasShootR

• 3 months later...