Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Testing the Stoeger M3K: First Impressions

Spartan1911

I picked up a Stoeger M3K Tuesday https://vimeo.com/1967737955089a9e77a8921b1de78c0ea09e1e751.jpgat a local pawn and gun store for a grand total of $600 out the door. Well my wife was at work and we were supposed to head to the range together sometime later this week, I just couldn't help myself and went early this morning to test the new gun.

It was a little cold for Tennessee, about 35° when I first started but quickly warmed up. I was alone on the action pistol base which gave me plenty of time and space to do what I wanted. The first thing I did was run a grand total of 20 slugs through the gun at approximately 25 yards. While this is my first semi automatic shotgun, I have always heard that it is a good idea to start with some heavy loads to make sure everything is worn in properly up before moving onto some of the lighter loads like birdshot. Likewise, I have seen other information that says this is more important with a gas driven gun rather than a inertia driven system like the Stoeger, but I chose to err on the side of caution. Regardless, all 20 ran fine and landed just above the bead at 25, if just a little left of center. However it's very possible that that could've been my doing and not the gun's.

Next I moved on to some 00 buckshot, again at 25 yards with the first 20 rounds simply being mad dumping as fast as possible making sure that everything runs, and then the last five rounds using the different chokes that were provided, a cylinder bore choke, they improved cylinder choke, and a modified choke. No surprise here, the modified choke was definitely the tightest of all three and will likely be the one that I run in the majority of my competitions in the next year. I then replicated the spread drills with birdshot with the same results as the previously used buckshot.

Now it was time for fun, Burning through the next 150 shells of birdshot at assorted steel targets, such as a Texas star, various pop ups, and working on different loading techniques. I don't yet have my extended tube, which I will be getting a +5 from Nordic components, so I would put five in the tube and then ghost load the chamber for a total of seven shells in the gun. Not bad for a gun that is supposed to be 4+1 out of the box. The shotgun ran fantastically through this short semi-torture test, with no hiccups to speak of. I would have a grand total of 15 steel poppers set up in front of me and a EZ-8 shell caddy on my belt and so I would work as quickly as I could to knock down all of the steel before the gun ran dry. I ran this drill so many times so quickly, that the vented ribbed barrel definitely came into play, as I was getting some pretty serious Mirage coming off the gun in the cold weather. I also did several rounds with the Texas star, one of which I recorded and I am pretty proud of.

One sidenote, the cuts of the receiver are little bit different then my 870, and as such it is a little bit harder to try and quad load; something I was able to do pretty successfully with my Remington. I'm not sure right now if it's just something I need to work on a little bit more or just stick to the syringe loading the tube at this time.

All in all, a pretty good day at the range. Only two very small hick ups, as I was transitioning from the buckshot to birdshot I did have two shells that didn't quite have enough in there sure to fully chamber, but no further malfunctions and that just a quick push forward to lock the chamber and I was good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Congrats on the M3K purchase. I have been using one for a few months now and really like it as well. Very reliable with "most" shells, can't get mine to run the Fiocchi JM 3gun shells for anything..You can open your loading port more to help with the quad loads. You can do it yourself or do as I did and send it to MOA Precision and have them do it. Not an M2 but for the price I don't think there is anything better.

Congrats on your M3K. I got mine back from MOA Precision about 2 months ago and still haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. It sure is nice to look at and fondle though. Probably have to wait until spring before I get a chance to shoot it.

13 hours ago, PCKLST said:

Congrats on the M3K purchase. I have been using one for a few months now and really like it as well. Very reliable with "most" shells, can't get mine to run the Fiocchi JM 3gun shells for anything..You can open your loading port more to help with the quad loads. You can do it yourself or do as I did and send it to MOA Precision and have them do it. Not an M2 but for the price I don't think there is anything better.

2 hours ago, Cuz said:

Congrats on your M3K. I got mine back from MOA Precision about 2 months ago and still haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. It sure is nice to look at and fondle though. Probably have to wait until spring before I get a chance to shoot it.

What are your impressions of the MOA package?

They do really good work. From the loading port to their extended tubes everything is top notch. It seems like there is a gunsmith on every corner that can do work on our pistols and rifles, only a handful of guys that work on and understand shotguns for our sports. 

The whole bill was $654.84 but wasn't totally broken down as they have/had a competition package which included most of it and then shortening the stock and the pad, left side charge and the TTI lifter were individual charges.  You can call or send them an E-Mail and find out easily.  I ended up with about $1,100.00 in the whole thing, gun and work @ MOA.

What are your impressions of the MOA package?

I'm really happy with the work Tom at MOA did. I went with an M3K to send him rather than an M3000 because of the relocated serial number on the M3K. I'm a lefty and wanted him to be able to remove more material from that side of the receiver.

Of course, I've never even shot a semi-auto shotgun or tried to load deuces or quads, but I've watched enough you-tube videos to practically guarantee I make Master my first time out. After all, what could possibly go wrong???
;)

On 12/23/2016 at 11:19 AM, Steve RA said:

I got my M3000 done by MOA, work very professional and the gun works well.

Are you a lefty or just prefer the charging handle on that side? Kinda reminds me of a FAL.

Edited by glazer1972

Picked one up this morning.  Now to figure out what I want to do to it.

I'm leaving mine as is for now, I'll shoot maybe 1000 shells total through it first to see if I can work through the quad loading as is. If not, I'll open up the loading port and polish the Magazine tube. Maybe replace the fiber optic with a HiViz