Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Missing instructions for CGW adjustable billet sear

IHAVEGAS

If you get one of these http://cajungunworks.com/product/as-b/the website says it is supposed to come with instructions.

Mine did not and I am fussy about safety things so I'd like to be 100% right on setting the screw that stops the sear when the safety is engaged. Could wait for CGW to get back off holiday and call, but would a lot rather finish the job I'm working on.

Anybody have the scoop?

• 1 year later...

Anyone have any experience with this and the stock sear both? I fitted the stock sear to where it functions just fine, but I'm wondering if the Cajun sear would make things crisper due to the hardness.

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, ChuckS said:

IHAVEGAS seems to have them :P

My default when google fails is to call CGW, always very helpful and courteous. 

Sear oopsies can lead to thumb safeties that do not work reliably, guns going full auto, & such things so I'm cautious to holler out how to's from the peanut gallery. 

It is really very simple. First soak the new sear and set screw in Acetone and make sure there is no oil present on either the sear or the set screw. Install the sear. Apply the safety. Put a drop of permanent LocTite on the set screw, I use 262,  with the safety fully applied in the full up position screw in the set screw until it just touches the bump on the safety shaft. Release and apply the safety again to make sure it engages easily and there is no hammer movement when you pull the trigger, if there is slightly tighten the screw. Repeat until the safety engages easily but there in no hammer movement when the trigger is pulled. Lay the gun aside for a full 24 hours to let the LocTite cure. Don't get the LocTite in the action and don't let any oils in the action get on the LocTited set screw until it is cured. You are done.

On ‎7‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 2:15 PM, gtaylor07 said:

Anyone have any experience with this and the stock sear both? I fitted the stock sear to where it functions just fine, but I'm wondering if the Cajun sear would make things crisper due to the hardness.

I didn't notice much of a difference but I do stone the rear of the sear that mates with the hammer to a mirror finish. I believe the angles on the hammer makes more of a difference.

The most gain you will get for a crisper trigger is the hammer, specifically the cut of the hammer hooks. With a stock ring style hammer, the hammer cuts are in a way where there is a camming action before the shot breaks. Instead of “letting go” and releasing the hammer when you pull the trigger, the hammer actually travels back (towards the beavertail) a bit before it gets released. Competition/Race hammers or even recut ring hammers minimize/eliminate this.

In the grand scheme of things, the stock sear is the “cheapest” part to file down and fit ($20) vs the actual safety assembly ($75+). This can be a tedious process to fit; the Cajun Adjustable Sear is really convenient to have. And it looks shinier and nicer, too.

I actually already fitted the stock sear to the hammer, and while it is certainly much better it still has very marginal creep.  I have a friend that installed both the hammer and sear and the pull on that gun is definitely better, so just wondering if anyone was seeing the same thing, or if it's just possible gun to gun variation.

• 2 years later...