Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Not really "smithing" but a fun DIY

bpipe95

Well I had a fun night working on a small project. I had purchased a stock for a build, when it came it was the wrong color green. I was going to send it out but I did not want to wait, i figured this was a good time to learn a new technique for working with plastic stocks. I had read a DIY on this past year but never had the right part or need to use it. Turns out it works awesome!

I changed the color of the stock using RIT dye and a modified stovetop method of "cooking" it.

Before:

Before.jpg

New pan I bought at wal-mart to avoid getting yelled at for using good kitchen pans. $12.00

Filled it with water and hit it with heat.

PanwithRack.jpg

Added the Dye, salt and cloths-washing detergent after heating it to ~200*.

Dyeandextrasadded.jpg

Let it "cook" for 30 min @ 200* then cut the heat and let it cool down. After it cooled to just above room temp I pulled it out and rinsed and scrubbed it under cool running water.

I am super happy with the results, here is a pic of the stock after with small caps that are still the original color.

Done.jpg

It is a bit shiny because it still has some water left from rinsing it off. The battery caps you see had a rubber sleeve that I could not remove so I waited for the mix to cool a bit before dropping them in. Due to the lower temp they did not take the color.

Let me know if you have any questions!

-Brad

Edited by bpipe95

Originally wanted od green, but ended up going with black. I could have dyed it od green by mixing dye colors but i did nit want to make it to complicated my first time through. Black was far better than the original foliage green so I went with it.

"Added the Dye, sale and cloths washing detergent after heating it to ~200*."

Nice job, looks good. I'm just a little confused about the ingredients, got the dye and the clothes washing detergent, but, what is "sale" ???

• 2 weeks later...