Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Recommendations for Scope Rings/Mount

CJW

Folks have given you a lot of good choices.

My rings of choice, Smith Enterprises or Badger.

As benchrest, F Class and other long range shooters will attest, you can buy top shelf parts but still miss the target by a mile because of faulty scope/ring installation.

Here's how to do the job properly, regardless which rings you choose.

Given how many coins the NightForce cost you, might as well get the scope alignment rods.

Edited by Roadrider18

Well, the final combination is: Savage Model 12 LRP; EGW 20MOA scope base; Seekins rings (backordered, but hopefully showing up soon); and the NF 5-5-22x56mm scope. Oh, and I ordered a Karsten Type A cheek piece to get my eye up to the sight. Once I got a chance to take some measurements, I am glad I didn't go with the one-piece base. The 20MOA base is pretty high to start with, and raising it up to give the 56mm glass clearance (the barrel on the LRP basically does not taper) is going to require me to get my line-of-sight up higher.

I am hoping to have everything assembled for a first trip to the range next week!

I just put together a 12 LRP (6.5 Creedmoor), EGW HD 0MOA (need the 20), Seekins Medium(.87-Inch Height) and a Sightron 8-32x56. Its the lowest it can go, without the scope hitting the barrel. Barely room for the rubber scope cap.

I'm going to get the Non-HD 20MOA base, since it will sit up a bit higher. The current base works, but I dont have enough adjustment to get out to 1000yds. (not that there is 1000 yards close to me to shoot, but someday).

I also need an adjustable cheek piece. Its not bad on the bench, but wont work at all prone.

(This thing shoots. Have some test loads under .5 inch at 200 yards)

Probably a stupid question (in fact, a follow-on to a previous stupid question)...

...if I were to use a monolithic mount (eg, Larue or similar) on a rail, rather than separate rings.... do the "rings" need to be lapped before mounting a scope?

I guess I'm just thinking that if putting a scope in a mount has no real "downsides", and takes less work to do correctly.... why not?

• 4 weeks later...