Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Is life the same as shooting?

mikeg1005

Bare with me while I try to put my thoughts into words.

Do people overcomplicate shooting simply because there is a pistol in their hand?

Reason I ask is because I was playing with my dog the other day, and was bouncing a tennis ball off the wall on the patio. Then it came to me, no matter how I threw the ball/how it bounced back at me, I was able to catch it without thinking about it... and simply looking at the ball. It could be 3 ft off the the left all I had to do was stick my hand out, watch the ball and I caught it. I wasn't "thinking" about where my hand was or when to close it.

Walking into work today, I told myself... I'm NOT going to step in that puddle in the parking lot. I didn't. But I didn't because I simple didn't, not becuase I studder stepped up to the puddle, or I counted paces/estimated the distance.

I'm reading Brian's book and I think the best most/enlightening parts are the ones were "the obvious is stated". But its only obvious if you think of it from a "non-shooting" perspective. For example one part that I read last night mentioned the idea of "looking for the solutions" on a stage in stead of "identifying the problems." This makes 100% sense when you think about real life.

Is this how you need to approach shooting? Simply learn the fundementals so you know how to aim/trigger control/reload/gun handling, and let what you know from life do the rest?

Your eyes can coordinate your hand movements very well(pick up a pencil quickly and write on a post-it note on the other side of your desk... you can do it effortlessly) do the same when moving the gun... Look at your front post, and look to where the targets are... don't "think" about moving your arms/body... just do it...like you pick up a coffee cup and move it towards your mouth.

Instead of driving into your head your exact foot placement, simply fimiliarize yourself with the stage/where you can/can't go and let your body/mind/gross motor skills dictate how you step during the COF.

When you approach a complex stage, look for the solution... don't look what is in the way... when you change a lamp you think, there is the lamp, there is the ladder, this is what I have to do.... not, oh I have to put my shoes on to get the ladder, and open 3 doors to get to the spare lamps, then I have to climb up and twist my wrist to change it.

I have noticed that when I don't "think" about stuff that I already know how to do (move/run, aim/target transition) I usually shoot a better/faster stage. If I walk the stage 2-3 times and look at where I can see each taret, I shoot the stage a lot more smoothly than when I try to dictate my foot placement and exact shooting locations. Is this this same for you guys? And for the real good/experienced shooters. Do you guys break down and think about every aspect (foot placement, moving your arms, etc.) of a stage? Or do you brush up on fundementals/find the targets during the walk-through and let your body/mind do the rest?

Edited by mikeg1005

It's not just about being able to do it, it's about doing it in the most time efficient way.

For me this comes about by burning the stage in, for a "really tight" spot I will visualize my foot position. Otherwise i'm looser with positions and more concerned with targets and reloads. I'm a "B" class shooter so I could be doing it all wrong.

I'm a "B" class shooter so I could be doing it all wrong.

Same here... I watch films of myself and then of the top guys shooting... obviously they are faster with everything they do... but the appear to have this natural flow to their COF(which I don't always do), I'm trying to see if this is just break down everything so well and then put it all together during the COF, or if they just "let it happen" and do it all quickly.

MIke.

Reason I ask is because I was playing with my dog the other day, and was bouncing a tennis ball off the wall on the patio. Then it came to me, no matter how I threw the ball/how it bounced back at me, I was able to catch it without thinking about it... and simply looking at the ball. It could be 3 ft off the the left all I had to do was stick my hand out, watch the ball and I caught it. I wasn't "thinking" about where my hand was or when to close it.

It's just like that, except you need to figure out how to throw and catch the ball faster and more accurate than everybody else.

Now, strongman was a different world - among other things, "stages" were more or less standardized, and we had months to prepare for a contest, but you always looked for "free" time - EG, did you stutter step when addressing a stone, have a habit of futzing w. a shirt before grabbing an implement, take an extra step moving from point to point, etc.

Now, some people can, eventually, I'm sure, internalize a very efficient means of going through a COF - the same as someone who races cars can go efficiently through an unfamiliar corner - but, when preparing for a race, the driver will mentally rehearse the course over and over again, looking for the "perfect" route.

I'm a "B" class shooter so I could be doing it all wrong.

Same here... I watch films of myself and then of the top guys shooting... obviously they are faster with everything they do... but the appear to have this natural flow to their COF(which I don't always do), I'm trying to see if this is just break down everything so well and then put it all together during the COF, or if they just "let it happen" and do it all quickly.

MIke.

Great athletes can also look that way, at times, because you, and the rest of the world, is watching a replay. That moment of perfection has already happened, to the athlete - probably many times, through diligent mental rehearsal - one of my old teammates (world record holder) wasn't capable of actually seeing someone if they stood between him and the platform when he was going to lift - he'd walk right over them, and never be aware of them.

MikeY 1005+

you may not have snatched the pebble from the masters hand, But at least you are understanding why the master has the pebble in the first place.

Its the progression to the next level that makes us good at life, Shooting can be just a tool to help us

Every aspect of human existence is the same. Everything benefits from a focus on the solution instead of the problem. Everything benefits from a separation from one's ego. Everything benefits from the practice of meditation and awareness.

In this idiot's opinion, at least. :)

Every aspect of human existence is the same. Everything benefits from a focus on the solution instead of the problem. Everything benefits from a separation from one's ego. Everything benefits from the practice of meditation and awareness.

In this idiot's opinion, at least. :)

Even this Idiot can grasp that, = well said with few words :bow: .