Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

XDm Open.

SN13

Comp is actually Aluminum i think. feels too light to be steel.

I plan on waiting until i can swap in and out new slide springs but was curious if slide lightening was crucial.

Thanks!

Scott Springer could tell you more about his comp & probably have advice on springs, guide rods and so on.

Didn't want to p--- on anyone's parade but there are numerous photos on this site of slides that were cut on despite being light/too light for the intended ammo BEFORE the weight reduction.

I like your holster idea. Secure at the toe and at the trigger guard, looks like.

LOL Since my optic is mounted there, the best place to rack the slide is in the front. The problem is that after three mags (75rds) it gets HOT so i need to grab it on the rear. With the way my hands naturally sweat, I probably DO need more grip tape. I'd grip tape the whole gun if I knew it wouldn't affect function! :goof:

The grip tape on the GRIP is located in key positions where my strong hand touches the frame.

I didn't think there'd be a need for it on the slide until I went to rack it and my hand slipped and I short-stroked it. SO I said "let's try some skateboard tape there" and I did and MAN what a difference. Then I was out shooting it at the range and needed to lock the slide open for disassembly and the front tape was WAY too hot to handle..... SOOO I struggled at the rear where there was no tape and finally got it open. Added tape there that night and it's probably 50% easier to operate than it was. FUNCTION over FORM. :)

Oh and the holster turned out really nice. It's flexible enough and the "SERPA" button is so light you just have to touch it to deactivate it but I've tested RUNNING and jumping with the gun holstered and it stays secure. It takes a little practice to make sure your finger hits the button but since it's aligned where the frame is, it's a good place to have your finger anyway. It MAY add .05-.1 seconds to my draw since i can't pull out before I fully grip the pistol, but that's not a bad thing to have a more consistent draw grip.

:)

Meh. Mag capacity: 25 . . . I'm only at a disadvantage on a stage that has 26-32 rounds (The most i've seen or heard of in 38 super or 9mm major was 32rds?) And that stage would have to have NO place to reload. There's almost always a place to reload.

:)

Reloads cost time even if you've got plenty of distance to do it.

Oh, supersonic is only 1,126fps at 68* F....on a cold day it's quite a bit lower ;)

This is certainly an interesting project, but I wouldn't wager it'll be all that competitive a setup. With heavy bullets going slow most people would be better off ditching the comp, balancing the springs and just using a red dot. R,

This is certainly an interesting project, but I wouldn't wager it'll be all that competitive a setup. With heavy bullets going slow most people would be better off ditching the comp, balancing the springs and just using a red dot. R,

Hmmm, we are selling lots of .40 comps, so people are up to something with them. They are much flatter and softer with the comp also, the dot doesn't leave the lens.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

So I decided that I wanted to shoot open. Here's the results of that:

DSCF1775Custom.jpg

DSCF1776Custom.jpg

DSCF1778Custom.jpg

40 Major Open. We'll see how she does.

very very nice indeed.

I have a weak spot for strange open guns lol was shooting an open Glcok myself for 3 years.

but also have to agree with Bart from a competative point of view you will have disadvantage. the comp does not look like it can match sti svi sps and so on although it might be close. no hybrid holes as far as i can see. so overall the gun will not be as flat as sti and so on. my glock was close to my sps but not the same. 40 will not help either i guess. i am not a friend of doctor sights or sights that are mounted on the slide in general. but thats propably just me lol heck i dont even like the cmore i have on my new one after i had an aimpoint on my glock

25 will give you a serious disadvantage at least here on my side of the pond. there will be several stages where you need a change when others will not. also just knowing that you cannot afford a miss kind of sets me back psychologicly lol

on the other hand no matter the gun i will never be a top squad shooter lol with my sps i am just one among many and with my glock i was for the most part the only one lol

but you made me itching for a strange open again. maybe a 08 Luger or something lol

• 2 weeks later...

That's really sweet! I have an XDm sitting in the safe which is now shaking in it's boots! You have me thinking of doing a Franken XDm!!!

Good luck and shoot well with it!

Jan

BTW The vids were cool!