What upgrades for Tanfo Limited?

LeviSS

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

10 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Agreed.

I'm a fan of the .140 height. Plenty of adjustment left in it for both 115s and 147s at 25yd, and keeps the fragile rear sight nice and low.

That won't work for the .40s&w, will it?

30 minutes ago, MemphisMechanic said:

Agreed.

I'm a fan of the .140 height. Plenty of adjustment left in it for both 115s and 147s at 25yd, and keeps the fragile rear sight nice and low.

I would caution to buy at least a .160 tall front sight so that you can properly zero your gun. I wouldn't want to risk it. You can always crank the rear up; you can't lower it past where it bottoms out.

On ‎1‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 11:50 AM, LeviSS said:

I'm gonna stick with kydex.

I know for sure I'm gonna replace the front sight with a Dawson FO.  Anyone know what height I'll need?

I'm also planning on a Henning cone fit guide rod.

I put a 140 dawson on my limited pro but see the top of the slide.  I put 160's on my stock 2 and 3 and I don't see the slide on them.  My rear sight is still low in the sight cut out.  I like the 160's much better. The width is .100

54 minutes ago, mgerencs said:

I put a 140 dawson on my limited pro but see the top of the slide.

With a .140 I see the slide if the front sight is high of the notch a little bit. With a proper sight picture I don't see any.

The properly aligned sight picture for a .120 hasd some slide in it at the bottom, however.

Just be advised about the difference in the dawson screw vs the tanfo screw. The dawson set screw securing the sight is significantly smaller. Its nothing a little locktite or vibratite wont fix though. I have a .140 on my 9mm and its fine after some vibratite I had left over from my last precision AR build. Bout 200 rounds under it.

I did stuff people don't like. ;)

Sure I did normal stuff like action work and put in the extended firing pin.

Henning's fiber optic sight didn't work for me, it was too thin for me and slowed me down. (opposite of how it works for many people)

The other thing I did that most people don't like is I narrowed the safeties. 

safety.jpg

The biggest (as in most important to me) changes I made were slightly changing the grip shape, building it up more square on one side, which made it a more natural pointer for me. 

LimGrip.jpg 

Trial and error and killing resale value. ;)

The other simple change that helped a lot was putting grip tape on the top of the slide, makes racking with the web of the hand easier. 

TZCZ.jpg

Edited by cas

IIRC that's the idea...  make it more reliable with the lighter springs. (I did mine a ways back so my memory is fuzzy about what I actually did to it. lol)

I need to dust mine off. I plan to shoot it some this year, haven't shot it at all in 3 years? Even before then it was pretty much one match a year for the two years prior. 

Edited by cas

8 minutes ago, LeviSS said:

You don't need an extended firing pin unless you use a lighter hammer spring, right?

Usually the guns run with all factory bits. It's when the 12# da is reduced to 8, 7, 6, 5, 4# that the extra stuff and precision tuning becomes vital.

I just read the comments on Candice's YouTube video and one guy was saying that there's a problem with 40s cracking frames by the left safety.

Anyone had trouble with this?

Have they fixed that problem?

Any way to prevent it?

I just read the comments on Candice's YouTube video and one guy was saying that there's a problem with 40s cracking frames by the left safety.

Anyone had trouble with this?

Have they fixed that problem?

Any way to prevent it?

I know of one case , but guy had close to 100k on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 1/20/2017 at 8:33 PM, Twinkie said:

I will be filming the first follow up video on Sunday. I finally got the gun back from Henning (money was tight) with basically everything possible done to the gun. I'll be doing some more vids focusing in on individual features and parts. Like talking about sights, grips, triggers, hammers, etc. Probably a bunch of rambling messes but might help a few people decide what might work for them.

I have .140 and .160 height sights on my Stock II's, and they are .100 wide. I wouldn't get the .140 as they don't give as wide a range of adjustment as the .160. The Henning site on my Limited is 180 x .105 but my calipers say .100 wide.

The FO from the factory is awful. The optic rod is too fat, the sight is un-serrated, and it's too wide. It is a free sight, and is better than the weak base sight. Either way, I think replacing the sight with a quality aftermarket one is non-negotiable.

I just watched the 2nd vid.  Gun looks really good.  I'll keep watching for more.

I just got it this evening.  I like it.  The first thing I will be ordering is a new FO front sight.  Next will be grips.  These stock grips suck.  I wish Lok had theirs out.  My support hand has nothing to dig in to.

How do the EGD grips compare to Henning grips?

Edited by LeviSS

57 minutes ago, LeviSS said:

I just got it this evening.  I like it.  The first thing I will be ordering is a new FO front sight.  Next will be grips.  These stock grips suck.  I wish Lok had theirs out.  My support hand has nothing to dig in to.

How do the EGW grips compare to Henning grips?

I take it you meant Eric Grauffel grips? The EG grips are very, very thin. Take your grips off and that's about how things they are. They are very well made and look very nice. Their grip is adequate, but with Henning's new texture I think the Henning grips are a bit rougher. The texture does not go all the way up on Henning's however, and I wish it did.

I can't speak to fit because Henning fit my grips at his shop and they seem rock solid while I had to embiggen the holes in my Grauffel grips to get them to go on, and the grips left some gaps as well as never got as tight as I would have liked. That said, I think the EG grips are right up there with Henning's for machining quality and looks.

Do I need to break the bottom edge of the breech face?  

On my CZ, it would drag across the round below in the magazine and cause it to nose dive when it was chambered, or it would keep the mag from falling out.  Once I rounded the bottom of the breech face slightly, it stopped.

I haven't really had much of a chance to shoot it much.