Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Experience with blue bullets anyone?

nikdanja

I love extreme bullets because the weights are really consistent. There's a local shop where I buy 180 grain pollycoated bullets for range ammo caus the weights are never at 180. They are 175,173,176 never at 180. Are blue bullets the same way? 

I think it's somewhat normal to see some variation in weight with a coated bullet. They are cast after all. Personally I only shoot Blue Bullets, but haven't weighted any of my 180's other then the 1 at chrono at the last state match I shot. I think it was a little heavy but don't remember the number off hand. When I shot 9mm 125's always came in more like 126.

I think you'll find most blue bullets will come in just a little heavier than advertised. Personally I like that. I think it's because all the molds don't have lube grooves so the bullet comes out a little heavier.

If I have time I could weight a couple, but this is a busy weekend coming up....

• 2 weeks later...

When I stopped by the shop a few years back they said their alloy is soft. Soft alloy means more lead than COWW or #2 which most molds are designed around. More lead will be heavier.

That said had very little variance in 147s and they were slightly heavy. Shot great.