Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

2011 9mm OAL

XtReMe90

Just starting to reload and I'm trying to work up a load with Berrys 147gr RN and Tightgroup for my 2011. Just curious if 2011 shooters are finding better accuracy with longer OAL and if so how long are you loading your 147gr RN? 

I've loaded as long as 1.175 in my 9's

But

you need to make sure your chamber/throat is deep enough.

Do some research on the "plunk test" it's dropping your loaded round into the chamber and making sure it will spin by light finger pressure and not leave any marks on the bullet.  I sharpie mine to see if it's hitting the rifling etc.  Then make sure it will fit the mags if you have spacers in the mags.

Once you have your throat depth with a particular bullet (should be done for each type of bullet you use) then you have to make sure you have enough bullet in the case so they don't come loose while feeding etc and there is enough bullet to get a good grip from the case.

Generally 1.150 to 1.170 works in 2011's as a simple answer!

Good fortune

Neil

Before you get into testing accuracy for long vs short, you need to make sure your pistol will function well with what ever OAL you decide to load.  I have a STI 2011 in 9mm that's been very reliable.  I use STI magazines and a spacer in the back of the magazine that I hot-glued into place.  I load 147's as long as that magazine with the spacer will allow.  I had tried some loaded long rounds and with the bullets I was using, they were so long that they would hit the lands in the barrel.  I suggest you start as long as your magazine will allow with a spacer in it, and plunk test your ammo.  Seat a little deeper if you must.  Some guys have found that they needed or wanted to load long as to not require a spacer; if I did that I would have needed to throat out the barrel or change bullets both.  My pistol shoots very well and is reliable so I never wanted to fix what was not broken.

I am new to reloading and had the same questions. The 9mm has a large range.  

I ended up dropping a bullet in the barrel, using a wooden pencil as a gauge pin to mark on, and calculating my barrels max OAL.  You do not use this length as your OAL.  Compare your length to SAMMI. 

Your magazine is more than likely SAMMI compatible since the cartridge manufacturers use it. Make some dummy rounds and test them manually through your magazine.

For me the OAL was less than SAMMI and longer than the listed OAL in the Load Data.   You have to find out what your barrel prefers to perfect it.

If you have multiple 9mm's to load for then you have to decide to load for each or all of them.

Also, plunk / chamber/ barrel check your rounds over a case gauge when you are starting to work up your OAL.  

13 hours ago, jcc7x7 said:

Do  the "plunk test" -  dropping your loaded round into the chamber and making sure it will spin by light finger pressure

Generally 1.150 to 1.170 works in 2011's as a simple answer!

You need to do The Plunk Test for each new bullet you try - if you switch from Berry's 147 RN

to Anything else - you'll need to do TPT again.

For minor loads, I'd stick with 1.13 - 1.15".

Each gun is different - some prefer shorter and some prefer longer OAL's - you really

have to experiment to find Your Gun's sweet spot - again, with each different bullet  :)