Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

How many mags on belt for Heavy Metal

Planning to shoot in Heavy Metal next year wondering how many SS pistol mags and 20 round rifle mags do you normally carry. I realize it changes area to area but my work moves me around so just generally how many. I've seen post where some are using the HSGI thigh carrier which would open up space on the belt since it holds 3/3. Anyone using it how has it worked out? Thanks in advance!

You can only have 10 rounds in a mag. For small local matches I carry three 10s and a 8 and another 20  round rifle on my belt. If I was going to shoot a bigger round count match I would have two 20 round rifle and 6 pistol and a chest rig for shotgun shells.

Use quads for ss pistol mags (or the 8 mag holder that has the mags oriented 90* to the belt), and doubles for rifle mags.

And to answer topher's question, when using quad mag holders or the 8, ss mags take up less room than doubles do.

I use a pistol quad and a double rifle pouch and have enough room for 28 shotgun shells on my belt, and a pistol holster...

jj

Edited by RiggerJJ

Tuff Products nylon mag pouch holds 8 single stack with bullets oriented outward in a 7 inch wide span on your belt.  I leave it on my belt regardless of the number of mags I plan on carrying.

For rifle it depends on target count.  If I think I can complete the stage with the mag already in the gun, I will carry one mag on my belt in case the 1st mag takes a crap while shooting the stage.  I will run 2 mags on my belt if the course looks like a RM3G rifle stage with 24 targets.

Kuan

Edited by ShootfastRunfaster

Thanks guys, lots of good ideals the more I research belt gear the more confused I get. I've looked at the bladetech double pistol mag single rifle mag combo that would give me 4/2. Seems there are alot of options out there. I appreciate the help.

I run an ELS belt. I carry 3 single stack pistol mag pouches, and 1 rifle mag pouch weak side. That's enough for 99% of the stages I've shot. I'll add a pistol pouch and rifle pouch if necessary.  If it's a big shotgun stage I'll use a chest rig.

I carry two rifle (one if a short stage) and three pistol (10rd G41) mags.  Sometimes I wish for more pistol mags, but I'm out of real estate on my belt with a 33" waist.  I've seen some folks use a drop leg rig with two rifle mags on the thigh, which frees up more belt space for pistol mags.  I haven't tried that yet, but the little drop leg stuff I've done has moved around too much on me while running.  Maybe two mags and nothing else wouldn't be as bad down there? 

That's been my experience with thigh holsters too,  never could keep them in place. I have a 34" waist so room is a premium, plus I'm going to need some extra space for shotgun shells based on my previous reload attempts. I've been using the load two, then drop one reload method, least I can follow the trail of shells back to where I started from. Been practicing so hopefully that will improve. I'm thinking of four pistol mags since I already have 3 tens and 3 sevens  that would give me 10+1 in the gun plus 34 on the belt should get me through most stages even the way I shoot. Then two rifle mags all with ELS so I can dump 1 double pistol  pouch and 1 rifle pouch for more shotgun carriers and to lighten the load. Guess it will boil down to using that as a start point and tweaking it as I go along.

I run 4 double stack pistol mags (I shoot an S&W M&P45) plus two rifle mag holders.  One rifle mag in front of my holster, one behind my pistol mag holders on my left side.  If I need an extra rifle mag I place it in my right rear pocket.  I use two six round and three four round California Competition shotshell holders for shotgun.  I prefer these for He-Man matches because the venues I shoot in are usually pretty physical & have you laying on uncomfortable prone positions.