Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

P320 Failure to extract

jimmy1256

I have 2 FCUs and 4 caliber kits. Just recently got a 9mm Full Size kit and it's driving me nuts. All of my kits run fantastic, never a hiccup. But this 9F will fail to extract a fired case about every 3rd or 4th mag. Now before anyone starts with the questions lets answer the common ones. Completely cleaned and lubed? Yes. Tried different mags? Yes (7) Inspected the extractor? Yes, even lightly polished the top and bottom to prevent binding. Limp wristing? NO. Doesn't happen with any of the other calibers / kits. Tried different ammo? Yes including 3 factory loads and 5 different hand loads. New extractor? Yes, swapped with my 9mm compact. No change.

So what's left? Send it back to Sig? Yea, I already have the RA and the Fedex shipping label. But 2 hour drive to the Fedex hub. (the only place you can ship a firearm) Remove my fiber optic sites and replace with the factory sites. Pack up a complete gun, including one of my FCUs so now I'm down to one. Then 4 to 6 week wait for repair. There goes 1/3 of the shooting season.

But I can't depend on it for competition the way it is, so I guess that's what I'm going to have to do.

Sorry for the long post but I just needed to vent my tale of woe. Thanks for reading. I'll up date this when I can, and if you have any ideas please let me know. Thanks, Jim.

Jim,

You said you don't have the problem with any of your other kits. Did you try your other FCU with the 9F kit?

Do you have an FFL closer to you than the FedEx hub? Maybe they could help you out with shipping it back without the long drive. Although if you have the RA, you may also have a pre-paid shipping label.

I would have recommended what you said you already tried, swapping extractors with one that is know to be good. While you are at it swap extractor springs and rods as well. I have read on forums where the factory swapped the extractor and made another change to add more tension on it.

Another possible cause is using light loads where the slide isn't cycling far enough to hit the ejector. In that case lighten the recoil spring or bumping up the power should make a difference.

Edited by alma

One thing that I haven't see you state yet, when you LAMR do you go to slide lock and drop a round in the chamber, drop the slide, and load a full mag?

I've heard a couple of cases of this. There is even someone on youtube who complained about it with two separate pistols. I think he said that they replaced the extractor pin or spring or something, but not the extractor itself. He also said it only took like 10 days to get the gun back.

OK, in answer to all of the above questions. JAFO- Yes, tried both FCUs with this kit. Same results. Both FCUs work with all of the other kits / calibers. No problems there. SHORTBUS- As stated, used all of the other calibers and kits with both FCUs. Only problem is with the 9F Kit. ALMA- When I stated that I swapped the extractor with a knowen good one I failed to mention that I swapped the spring and plunger as well. Problem persisted. LIGHT LOADS? I don't think this has a bearing in this case because I tried Federal factory premium loads and Winchester factory loads as well as my hand loads. Same problems. RAYZ-When I LAMR I load a full mag (11 rounds in a factory 17 or 21 round mag) then cycle the slide. Double check that the mag is fully seated and there is a round in the chamber. Then shoot. Stoppage occurs any where from the 3rd round to the 10th round. Fired case is extracted about a quarter of an inch. Slide has cycled all of the way back and attempts to strip the next round from the magazine. As the round is stripped from the magazine it is pushed up the feed ramp and into the partially extracted round still hanging out the back of the barrel. TACTICALRELOAD-The 4 to 6 week time frame was given to me by customer service rep. So? I'm not sure how long it is really going to take. ( could just be standard answer for the question. "how long will it take to get my gun back?"

I had another thought last night. I could just purchase another 9F kit and keep the malfunctioning kit for parts or send it in for repair and sell it when it gets back to recoup some of the costs. Still thinking.

Thanks for the replies guys and gals. If you think of anything else, post it and I will reply.

Thanks, Jim.

• 1 month later...

Update: 6/30/16 Ordered a new Caliber X-change kit 9F about 4 weeks ago and have been using the new kit for the last 4 matches. It has worked flawlessly. Sent the old kit (as a complete pistol) off to Sig for warranty repair. Left 2 weeks ago and received and email this mourning that it's on its way back to me. Should arrive today or tomorrow. I'll give it a chance to redeeme itself and see how that works out. I'll keep you all posted. Jim

UPDATE: 7-6-16 So, received my P320 9F back from Sig Sauer. The enclosed paper work says they replaced the extractor spring and plunger as well as polish the rear of the slide. (chamber area) and checked for spent shell retention. Interestingly the barrel looks different. Feed ramp was polished from use when it went out but looked freshly blued when it came back. (Strange) Anyway I took it to the range last night for a test run. Shot about 200 rounds of a variety of ammo (factory and reloads) no problems noted at all. Ran flawlessly. I'm relatively convinced that it's fixed. More testing is needed to be 100 percent sure but looks good so far.

Thanks to all for the advice. Shoot fast, shoot safe.

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard a couple of cases of this. There is even someone on youtube who complained about it with two separate pistols. I think he said that they replaced the extractor pin or spring or something, but not the extractor itself. He also said it only took like 10 days to get the gun back.

That was me. Here's the video, if anyone's still interested in this topic: https://youtu.be/ilFcfIyUz6U My results are the same (about 2k rounds later). Still no issues except an occasional FTF as I play with ammo loads and seating depths.

Edited by Tracer83

That's for the update. Good videos, BTW... very thorough; and unlike most youtube videos, it provides sensible, level-headed commentary from someone who actually shoots their pistol instead of trying to use it to prove how mall ninja they can be. :goof:

Took the wife out to SC yesterday after changing out to the 1911 guide rod with a 12lb spring. She has the p320 9fs that has been RMR with a delta point. Before the guide rod/spring change we were having a lot of stove pipes. The gun ran better then it has but instead of stove pipes out of about 120 rounds she had about 4-6 fte but with these fte was almost like the ejector didnt even attempt to grab the case. I am shooting reloaded ammo. The gun has a total of less then 500 rounds through it. Will this issue get better or should I be contacting Sig? The wife sold her 2011 to buy this gun as she is also waiting for aftermarket parts from Grays. Looking for possible tips before she starts to get frustrated.

Took the wife out to SC yesterday after changing out to the 1911 guide rod with a 12lb spring. She has the p320 9fs that has been RMR with a delta point. Before the guide rod/spring change we were having a lot of stove pipes. The gun ran better then it has but instead of stove pipes out of about 120 rounds she had about 4-6 fte but with these fte was almost like the ejector didnt even attempt to grab the case. I am shooting reloaded ammo. The gun has a total of less then 500 rounds through it. Will this issue get better or should I be contacting Sig? The wife sold her 2011 to buy this gun as she is also waiting for aftermarket parts from Grays. Looking for possible tips before she starts to get frustrated.

I would just call SIG at this point.

Thanks. And I have a separate channel for mall ninja training tips.

That's good... without those, you'll never get any substantial number of views / subs on youtube.