Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

.38 sup v. Supercomp

taco101

I just got my dies in so its time to cook up a load. What I've read is that supercomp has less feed issues. My question : is supercomp worth buying the brass? Or should I soldier on with the super brass I have?

You bought the .38 super caspian, right?

I'd use the 38 super brass you have at least while you shake down the gun since it was built to run 38 super. After that, you can decide if 38 supercomp is the right move for you.

As far as maxing out the big stick mag capacity goes Caspians are a little different than the STIs in that the mags are dimensioned such that going to 38supercomp will not guarantee that you can get another round in your big stick mag. I get 29 max in a 171.25mm mag with either super or supercomp. (WIth an sti MBX 38 super mag I get 29 super or 30 supercomp).

There may be some reliability benefits to going to supercomp, but you won't know until you try the super cases first.

Depending on your gun you may not need to make any adjustments to run 38 supercomp. I have one that just doesn't care what it gets fed, and two that will choke on supercomp/rimless cases. Again, this is something that you won't know until you try it.

Edited by Bamboo

Awesome info. Thanks. On a side note, got to shoot the new blaster today for the first time. First shot was right on the A....and I said,"Holy cow! Thats loud!!!" Times for plugs and muffs!

I'm new to open division, anywhere I can read about what the differences are between these two rounds?

A stock DVC is 38 super, guess I'm trying to see what it would take to run super comp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

38 Super Comp is just a rimless 38 Super. You might or might not need to adjust your extractor tension when switching from one to the other.

Super Comp tends to feed smoother because of the rimless design.

http://38super.net/Pages/Brass.html

Edited by superdude

I started off with 300 rnds of Super brass. Then I bought 800 rnds of SC. I used the Super brass to develop loads and fine tune the gun. I got it feeding the Supers pretty reliably. So guess what happened when I started loading the SC brass with the loads I worked up and the tuning I had..... It ran even better.

If you can get it to run reliably with Super brass, it's be as reliable as anything with SC.

Lesson of the day: I loaded a couple hundred rounds of .38 Super with a 124 MG JHP over 7.5g of WAC. 176PF. Went to the range and in the first mag had two failure to feed. Put those rounds aside and went on. I had about 20 more. Further investigation revealed that my new Caspian's extractor is much happier with AC than not. The rounds that failed to feed all wouldn't fit under the extractor without a bunch of force. So, I just ordered some AC brass. Guess that settles it.