Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI DVC LIMITED .40- loads

jtrump

Hello guys,

First I would like to mention I've searched the internet and the website front to back and there are so many opinions, and different loads people are using it's really racking my brain.

I just purchased this pistol and plan to shoot limited division.

I have been reloading .45acp on my dillion 550 for awhile, using W231 and HP-38, using a 200g swc 1.250 oal.

Getting into this .40 reloading business seems to be not as straight forward, and I want to make sure I'm happy with what I purchase.

Things I'm hung up on: Jacketed or Coated "I feel there is a lean that the 180g Zero JHP is a very good accurate bullet"

powder, powder, powder. Obviously I want to shoot my pistol as fast as my eyes can see accurately with the least amount of recoil making major PF.

Which would be a good powder in combination with say

A: Zero JHP

B: Coated Bullet - bayou bullet, hi-tek not molly.

I plan to run all of my brass through the re sizing tool before loading and I do have access to a chronograph.

TLDR: Most Accurate, Soft shooting, Major PF .40 load

I appreciate all of the input in advance!

There is no "best" -> Everybody's perception of recoil and what's "soft" is different.

I've read everything I could find and in my DVC .40, I'm starting with an OAL of 1.180 - 180 HP X-Treme Plated - with 4.6 of Titegroup. I just swapped to a 12 pound Recoil spring. I don't think that will quite make Major, but I should be close. I'll test and work up from there....

Edited by Chutist

I hear tite group is snappe and not just perceived... I don't have a clue by I don't want to buy powder and let it sit like some of my was ring bullets I bought when I first started reloading .45

I'm sure this post will get some action today, I pick up the gun today yay.

You have a powder that will work. In my gun 4.9gr. of 231 makes major with a bayou 180 at 1.18". I use coated bullets only, they cost less and allow me to use less powder to get the desired power factor. As always start low and work up. I do not think recoil is as harsh with 231 as it is with TG.

I agree with SWprotected that HP-38 should work for you. I also use it for 45ACP and am happy using it for both calibers.

However, I think the 4.9 grains may not give you much latitude in making major. I've been running 5.0 grains under a 180 grain plated RNFP loaded to 1.130 COAL. That has been getting me about 910 fps +/- out of a 4.75" Tanfoglio Witness Match which translates to about 165 power factor if my math is correct. Recoil, though, is not bad.

The problem I have with HP-38 is that I'm already near max load according to Hodgdon. I personally wouldn't hesitate to load hotter if I needed to but I would proceed cautiously and keep a critical eye out for any signs of overpressure during my load development. If you need more velocity and aren't comfortable going above Hodgdon's max recommendation, you probably want to try another powder such as Power Pistol or Titegroup.

Off hodgdon's page I get this for HP-38

Case: Hornady
Twist: 1:16"
Primer: Winchester SP, Small Pistol
Barrel Length: 4"

Trim Length: .845

1.25 OAL start load 4.4g 872fps, max load 5.1g 984fps

Now does this mean I have to load it to 1.25oal? or would I be correct implying I can load to say 1.20 oal, and using a 5inch BBL, I'm going to pick up some velocity without touching max load?

Something is wrong on the OAL you quoted from the Hodgdon page. The standard COAL for 40S&W is 1.125" - not 1.250" If you were talking 45ACP, that number would be good but not for 40S&W. So assuming it is a typo, if you load to 1.200", your pressure will normally drop a little from theirs but your longer barrel will pick up some velocity. Hard to guess the net effect. I did notice that the speeds achieved on the Hodgdon site (and Alliant as well) tend to be optimistic and I rarely get within 30 - 40 fps of these figures using similar bullets. Remember that bullet composition and shape also have an impact with lead and coated/plated usually running faster than their jacketed counterparts for a given load. The numbers I quoted above were from a plated bullet out of a 4.75" barrel at 85* temperature.

I have used jacketed, xtreme plated and heavy plated, the xtreme plated ate just as good as the jacketed and heavy plated in my 2 .40 Edge's and my DVC .40.

I got some blue bullets in a deal I made on a 9mm Edge, not shot a lot of them but they seem good so far.

• 2 months later...

Anyone else have a DVC limited with load data that they would like to share? I just picked one up so I would like to see what everyone is using specifically for this gun.

Match Formula - 171 PF

Xtreme 180 Heavy Plate

Win Small Pistol Primer

VV N320 5.0 g

1.155 OAL

This length works in both my DVC, Edge backup and wife's M&P.

Which Xtreme 180

RNFP or HP?

My N320 should be here Monday! :D