Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Indoor Range and Mag Changes

ArmdCtzn

For our indoor matches, on a stand-n-blast style stage we fold a rubber shooting mat (that the juniors use for prone .22 rifle shooting) in half and put it on the floor where the magazines will drop. Some hit it, some didn't. It still eases the possible damage a little bit. One time, we tried suspending a mat between two chair backs and used that to catch the magazines. Some hit it, some didn't.

This method is not possible to do on a field course. Magazine changes will occur at different locations for different divisions.

Personally, I have a dedicated STI magazine for "floor drops" and verify the lip dimensions before using it in a match. The other magazines are all SV and I try and not drop them.....

BC

Ok gents, riddle me this. I tend to fling mags from my glock 22. pressing the realese while bringing the gun to my reload point, spining the mag in air. Though I've never seen an issue with the lips hitting the deck but I do worry. Any thoughts?

It's a glock, shouldn't be a problem.

Been dropping Glock mags on the indoor floor for years and never had a problem. I have had several STI plastic ones (factory) crack though. You could always pick up some of these or another brand, they fit the USPSA, IPSC, and IDPA boxes.

http://tarantacticalinnovations.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=110_106&products_id=394

Been dropping Wilson 10 round 9mm mags on the floor for about five years now still using the same five I started with. About twice a year clean, polish and lightly straighten in the vice. Bulged more from compression, loading 10 rounds than being dropped.

Haven't shot my open gun indoors as we only have an indoor IDPA league. I'd have to think a minute on that one.

Im still running oem glock base pads and springs. Would a longer spring for Dawson or TTI base pads make a noticeable difference. Or for that matter, would more over all wieght send it to the deck faster? Or would it still be negligable? It is true Im talking glock mags so big woop, but still they dont grow on trees.

anyone worrying about glock mags needs to harden up! they are the toughest AND cheapest mags out! the feedlips are encased in plastic so that practically nothing protrudes that could get damaged. bases can be tough too. especially aftermarket ones.

seriously, try shooting a 2011 with fancy mags or even a CZ.. they are expensive and can be crap too (don't even start on CZ75 10 round mags with big plastic 'feet' on them!).

I've been shooting a Glock 21 only indoors and only drop the mags. Never had had a problem with any of them. Nor have I had any major problems dropping Colt .45 mags from my Gold Cup or Officer's. Dropping from about 6 feet has never been a problem on concrete.

• 4 weeks later...

I shoot a lot of Indoor IDPA. Let them bounce. It won't hurt them. Particularly if they're empty. I have shot some indoor USPSA also and it still pains me to drop the CZ mag with ammo in it no concrete. But, honestly, there's no issue with it.

• 5 months later...