Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Nimitz's Journey To Shooting Greatness

Nimitz

I almost had to do that this past week .... I think the real issue is that I'm still in 'MD mode' when I get to the first stage, not focusing on shooting but focusing on still making sure the match gets off on the right foot ... There always seems to be some little issue I need to deal with during the 1st 1/2 hr of shooting ...

• Replies 877
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Shot my other monthly 8-stage Tier 1 match this morning ... finished with an 83.53. Had 3 sub 8 sec stages and new personal bests on Smoke & Hope & Roundabout .... had little trouble with Outer Limits to start, had M/U shots on both my 1st & second strings. Overall though a good, solid performance .... my wrists seem to be hanging in there as well, should be able to get through one more week & then we'll see where we're at ...

Edited by Nimitz

• 2 weeks later...

So the US Steel National Championships are in the books and it was an interesting combination of very good and very bad ....

In the Main Match, shooting my open gun (which I haven't spent much time seriously training relative to my rimfire gun) & doing exactly zero dryfire in the 2 weeks leading up to the match to try and protect my wrists, I finished with a new personal best match time & finished high enough to walk away with a gun off the prize table.

On the rimfire side there is just no sugar coating it ... it was a basic meltdown. I shot a full 11 secs slower than my average match time since Dec. The silly part was I actually managed to finish as 2nd Senior in the rimfire pistol match despite my poor shooting & finished 25th out of 103 rimfire pistols ...

So, while I take the next couple of weeks off to let my wrists hopefully heal, thus avoiding surgery .... I'll be doing some more soul searching for techniques to combat my mental failure at a big match. Obviously just shooting more majors will help, this is only my 5th major in 4 years, but that alone will not be enough. I've got a few ideas about how to put more pressure on myself during Tier 1 matches which should help and I'm also going to commit to posting my cold stage run videos during training every week, regardless of what happens, to help add a little more pressure during training as well ..... bottom line is the journey continues as I have a long way to go ....

I might be able to help you out with the tier 1 match pressure. Let's just say that every time you shoot a string time of 3 seconds or more you send me a hundred dollar bill. I would be willing to do that for you. ..

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

Just getting caught up on your journey. I'm 2 days removed from Ben's Fundamentals class, I can barely lift my legs. I'm not sure I could have done two more days on the tail end of it. I am, however, eagerly awaiting the opportunity to do it again.

Edited by tha1000

As long as you're willing to do the same thing for me every time you shoot a string time over 3 secs that might work ...

Let me add that up. ..

19 strings last match x $100

I shoot about one match a month. ..

Hmmm...I doubt you have that many in 4 if your rim fire matches!

hmmmmm .... took a quick look at all my matches since Dec 15. Ended up being a total of 188 strings & out of those there were 13 strings over 3 secs. However, there were also 19 strings below 2 secs which to be fair should count as -1 .... therefore it looks like I had no strings over 3 secs since Dec 2015. Assuming your math is good, since Dec 2015 you are looking at about 76 strings over 3 secs so I guess you'll owe me $7,500 ..... :) looks like I'll be able to afford private lessons with Max after all .... :)

Well, luckily for me I had a kid this past fall and pretty much took nov-feb off. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure the kids cost me more than $7,500 so I guess it's a wash ;)

And I have had several sub 2-second strings too I'm proud to say! It's amazing what a rimfire does to your times! Some of those were even with my g34, although we actually give the -2 seconds on speed option.

my current individual string best time on Speed Option with my open 9mm gun is only 3.57 secs but we don't do the -2 secs for the 'option' plate .... too bad ... 1.57 secs would look like I could actually shoot ... :)

Edited by Nimitz

In the cold months we sometimes get lazy and set up simple stages like double trouble (two to the large rectangle one to the circle), Texas tree, back and forth, and a couple others. It tends to boost your confidence, especially because a lot of the best shooters take winters off. Cold also seems to affect me less than some of the other guys. Not sure if that's an age thing, or because I'm more used to cold winters.

My fastest stages ever were double trouble, and speed option 2. Both under 9 seconds iirc, but neither of those are at all realistic SC times ;)

• 1 month later...

Met with my orthopedic surgeon today about my MRI results and I don't have any TFCC tears so I'm cleared to resume training again ... Tonight I'll be reorganizing my training schedule to plan out the next 30 days based on the new program I've developed over the last month & in working with Ben. One of the new things I'll be doing is 30-day focused training plans & then reassess to see what the next 30 days should be based on the previous 30 days results. This should help me address and burn down issues faster and help focus me on very specific micro aspects of my shooting. I'm at a point where I need to put a laser focus on a myriad of little issues and fix each one of them vice any major flaws in my technical shooting skills at this point ...

Also, as promised, I'll be filming every cold stage run I do in training & posting them on my YouTube channel, including my first day back after not handling a gun for 32 days in a row ... Should be interesting ... I'm looking forward to getting back to a regular shooting schedule again this week ...

yeah, I was just sitting on the couch every night binge-watching Lucifer & wallowing in self-pity that I couldn't shoot .... I'm pretty excited about the new training approach I've developed & to see how it works out .... I remembered what Ben had told me about the difference between making GM & becoming competitive at the National level & what he had to change in his training approach so I spent the last month identifying all the little micro things I need to do better to continue to push my times down. I'm able to shoot Roundabout, Showdown & Smoke & Hope at sub 8 pretty much on-command now but haven't made any real progress to the sub 7 sec level. I think I've IDed at least a few of the things to get me closer but I need to spend some serious training time on those things to address them .... anyway, that's the theory so we'll see how it goes for real .... now if you'd just get that Steel Challenge Committee in line & fix everything my life would be complete ... :)

Per my new training plan I started to upload videos of all my cold stage runs during training as one way to increase pressure on myself. The first 2 videos are up on my YouTube page (5 To Go & Accelerator). Good, bad or ugly, I'm simply going to post all five runs each time & my overall stage time. No alibis, no mulligans ... So this last week I was just trying to get back into training mode again. Beginning with tomorrow's session I'll start using my complete new training plan that I developed while I couldn't shoot & we'll see how it goes. I did manage to put down a bunch of 2.2 - 2.25 sec runs on Accelerator pretty consistently once I got going & this is about where I left off right before Nationals so the layoff didn't really affect me too much .... didn't really expect it to, I just had to deal with losing a month of training time ... This Sat will be my first match since Nationals so I'm looking forward to picking up where I left off ...

Yes, but it wasn't until I switched back to 1,2,5,4, S that I could consistently break 2.5 secs ... The transition from 4-1 is really long and you're going to a small plate which I never do unless I have no choice. I also don't like having to immediately decelerate going from an aggressive 1st shot (5) to 4 & then accelerate again. I know KC used to shoot it that way but he's back to 1,2,5,4,S just like everyone else on the super squad this year at nationals ...

Yes, but it wasn't until I switched back to 1,2,5,4, S that I could consistently break 2.5 secs ... The transition from 4-1 is really long and you're going to a small plate which I never do unless I have no choice. I also don't like having to immediately decelerate going from an aggressive 1st shot (5) to 4 & then accelerate again. I know KC used to shoot it that way but he's back to 1,2,5,4,S just like everyone else on the super squad this year at nationals ...

Gotcha, thanks. I'm still way slow compared to you but I did get faster at it by starting in the back. Plus the cadence sounds different. For me shooting it back to front it's ding, ding, pause ding,ding,ding the front two and stop plate I can hit very quickly. I'll set it up again and do some test runs to see which way I shoot it better. Just because everyone shots it one way doesn't mean it's the best way for me to shoot it.