Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

HK P7 near Philly

davidwiz

Anyone in the Philadelphia, PA area have a HK P7? My girlfriend possibly wants to get one for CCW, but since they are out of production, it is difficult to find one in a area store.

I should add that I am not looking for one to buy, just find one so that my gf can see it and possibly shoot some rounds through to try out.

Edited by davidwiz

Have one, it is heavy, but a great gun. The regular p7 does get hot after 25 or 30 rounds quick fire. The P7m8 has a heat shield and an american style mag release, instead of a heel release.

You were able to pick up a P7 for around $800 (pre CT), and they have been going up before than, and now you will be lucky to find one under $1,200 on GB. Mags are also quite expensive. they were around $60 a pop.

Beyond that, they are extremely accurate, did see a few folks shoot production with it. Very slim, great carry gun.

I can't help as I live in CA.

They are a bit heavy, and are also somewhat larger than they appear. And even the M8/10's/13's have the heating problem at the range when you are shooting multiple mags in succession. End of the bad stuff.

On the good side, they are perhaps the greatest tactical/defensive (i.e. non-target) pistol ever made. They are unusually safe with the squeeze cocker design, fully ambi with the squeeze cocker but no other explicit controls (there is a small slide lock that is 'non-ambi' as I recall), they are extremely accurate, easy to point, very fast with follow-up shots. Finally, they are sufficiently 'different' that in the hands of an inexperienced shooter, they may be sufficiently alien that it can't readily be used against you. Again, once you get used to their unique design, it's hard to imagine preferring something else.

They do not, as far as I know, accomodate a light/laser.

Finally since they do have a unique operating system, getting proficient with the P7's takes a bit of time, and it will be a bit of a challenge to move from it to a more conventional design.

I have four (including the M13) and thus may be just a bit biased.

B

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I have a P7M8 and a PSP (European mag release) and I carry them almost every day. They are a little heavy, but they are all metal full sized guns.

The PSP, I've owned for decades but I bought the P7M8 about 6 months ago on GB for $1,400 plus shipping and was happy to get it. It was in +95% with box and papers.

They are expensive but very safe to carry and accurate (1" 25 yard groups are common off the bench).

Yes, they have a unique function with the squeeze cocking mechanism, but I have never had a problem switching between those, a 1911, Glock or any other automatic (I have noticed a mental blip when I reach for my carry gun and it's a revolver).

I shot the PSP in a couple of IPSC Matches in the late 90's and did fairly well.

If you are thinking of getting one, do it sooner than later...the price keeps going up.

Sean

• 8 months later...

I havr been carrying a P7 PSP for around 10 years in a Milt Sparks VM2. It is easily the safest handgun to carry, has a great trigger, extremely accurate, and boringly reliable. It is a bit heavier and has less capacity than most pistols its size, but IMHO, it is one, if not the, best carry gun ever made. Truly a shame H&K stopped making them.

• 6 months later...
  • 3 months later...

well, not near PA, but if you come to CO to ski or ?, I'd be happy to bring you to the "dark side"! My wife loves the P7, I love them too-

I know a few people local to you that you could probably stir on a more HK-centric board...

• 1 month later...

Best carry gun ever made.

Small mags, not too quick on reload. But extremely seductive, if you don't mind destroying the value of a $2000 collectible. :( I carried it for a while, but later changed my mind.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 month later...