Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Geissele Super 3 Gun Trigger doubling

jdknotts1

I was group shooting from the bench working up loads on my .260 when it doubled on me. I was using free recoil at the time. Or it could have been theo Wolf primers that were a tad tall (didn't seat flush).

After the double I held the rifle tight and didn't have anymore doubles.

This.

Make sure you are holding on tight. If you are not ypu could be unintentionally bump firing it.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@ ausshooter

I'll let you know if I figure anything out over the next few days. If I can figure out how to duplicate it, then I can figure out how to avoid it.

On your DQ, did you hit the ground within 10 feet or over the berm?

Edited by jdknotts1

I suspect that the super 3 gun trigger isn't doubling. I would bet that you are bump firing it. I loaned my Stag Model 3G to a newbie last match and I too thought it started doubling when he was shooting from the prone position. So we stopped him and let him reshoot with my other Model 3G Stag. Same thing happened?!?!? Both rifles have shot fine before and after. Turns out he wasn't holding the rifle firmly in his shoulder and the trigger reset is so short that bump fires can and do happen with that trigger. The 3G that we used in the 3 Gun Nation shoot offs all season ran perfect for 1000's of rounds and then one of the RO's was having trouble with the gun doubling during the sight in for the season finale. Only happened for one RO and didn't happen again after it was out of his hands.

So I guess my advice is to quite limp shouldering it.

I suspect that the super 3 gun trigger isn't doubling. I would bet that you are bump firing it. I loaned my Stag Model 3G to a newbie last match and I too thought it started doubling when he was shooting from the prone position. So we stopped him and let him reshoot with my other Model 3G Stag. Same thing happened?!?!? Both rifles have shot fine before and after. Turns out he wasn't holding the rifle firmly in his shoulder and the trigger reset is so short that bump fires can and do happen with that trigger. The 3G that we used in the 3 Gun Nation shoot offs all season ran perfect for 1000's of rounds and then one of the RO's was having trouble with the gun doubling during the sight in for the season finale. Only happened for one RO and didn't happen again after it was out of his hands.

So I guess my advice is to quite limp shouldering it.

After hearing many of the replies on this thread I do believe that is true. Why do some of us have the problem and not others? My bench technique has always been pretty sound. Usually when I have a trigger with a long take-up, I tend to let the trigger out only as far as I have to. Simliar to my HK P2000 LEM trigger. Holding the trigger to the rear after dry fire, slowly letting the trigger out, I can get the trigger to fire without even feeling it reset.

Maybe I need to try taking the take-up out with a set screw like others are suggesting.

I just purchased a trigger group from Bill Springfield, and had the same problem. I called him today and described what happened. He told me to file the disconnecter. I works perfect now. Maybe this could be your problem too?

When it comes to high end gear like Geisselle and JP don't be filing on any of the trigger parts. If you have a problem send it back to the manufacture.

Pat

A light finger, will cause mine to bump fire. Usually happens, shooting off a bench, trying to shoot a tight group. If I follow through with the trigger, it will not double. Mine is caused by the shooter and not the rifle.

Edited by JohnMc

I have the Wilson Combat version of the trigger you have and the reset is SUPER short. If I don't have a firm grip on the pistol grip, it will bumpfire and feel like a double; this is especially prevalent when shooting from then bench and using a light pull trying to get tight groups.

This just might be the nature of shooting with this style of trigger. Have you tried shooting while standing? Since the weight of the gun is supported in part by your trigger hand, I'll bet it won't double when you shoot it standing.

Edited by Benl

• 3 weeks later...

Update:

Sent my lower out to Geissele with the trigger installed..... I am such an idiot! I installed a small pin trigger group into a large pin lower receiver. The guy from Geissele said it is common to get bump fires and weapon malfunctions when the switch is done.

The guys from Geissele have been AWESOME with customer service. The first email I sent out was replied to within 30min. And that was around 2200hrs at night. They said they will fix my mistake and replace the trigger group to the proper one at the cost of the difference. From any other company I would expect them to say sorry bout your luck and then want to charge more and more money.

I expect to have it back this week and shoot it next week. I'll give an update on how the new function is.

Update:

Sent my lower out to Geissele with the trigger installed..... I am such an idiot! I installed a small pin trigger group into a large pin lower receiver. The guy from Geissele said it is common to get bump fires and weapon malfunctions when the switch is done.

The guys from Geissele have been AWESOME with customer service. The first email I sent out was replied to within 30min. And that was around 2200hrs at night. They said they will fix my mistake and replace the trigger group to the proper one at the cost of the difference. From any other company I would expect them to say sorry bout your luck and then want to charge more and more money.

I expect to have it back this week and shoot it next week. I'll give an update on how the new function is.

I was thinking that might be possible but thought you would notice when the pins pretty much would fall out of the receiver.

Pat

Update:

I was thinking that might be possible but thought you would notice when the pins pretty much would fall out of the receiver.

Pat

It was odd. The pins seems a tad loose but they weren't falling out. A little shimmy in the trigger group but that was it.

Update:

Pat

It was odd. The pins seems a tad loose but they weren't falling out. A little shimmy in the trigger group but that was it.

I should not have said falling out except when your assembling it. The hammer pin is held in by the J spring (little spring inside of the hammer) and the trigger pin is held in place by the hammer spring. So they would not have fallen out once you had it assembled. But when you put the trigger in before the hammer was put in it may have falled out then.

pat

• 1 year later...

I have a feeling this is going to solve a lot of my problems. No more malfunctions, no more bump fires, I'll be a happy man.

Was looking at these triggers. Since you did not reply back into this thread, can I safely assume that the SD3G trigger you have is working great?

Since then mine started acting up and I ended up getting the new trigger return spring from Geisselle no joy. Sent it back to them they changed some things better but still no joy. Ended up selling it. Its not that it doubles its just very easy to bump fire. Still love the trigger but just did not trust it.

Pat

Since then mine started acting up and I ended up getting the new trigger return spring from Geisselle no joy. Sent it back to them they changed some things better but still no joy. Ended up selling it. Its not that it doubles its just very easy to bump fire. Still love the trigger but just did not trust it.

Pat

Pat,

What didn't you like about the spring upgrade? Did it not feel right or still the same issue with the bump firing?

I have a feeling this is going to solve a lot of my problems. No more malfunctions, no more bump fires, I'll be a happy man.

Was looking at these triggers. Since you did not reply back into this thread, can I safely assume that the SD3G trigger you have is working great?

It did solve the issues I was having, and I quite liked using the trigger.

However recently I switched to the HiperFire 24C. This trigger gives the best balance I've seen between precision shots and fast splits.

Pat

Pat,

What didn't you like about the spring upgrade? Did it not feel right or still the same issue with the bump firing?

Same issue with bump firing. Basically if I was in anything less than a full stance I could get bump fires. Such as moving backward and shooting kneeling in an akward position any situation where I was not solid on the gun.

Pat

• 3 months later...

If I follow through with the trigger, it will not double.

THIS

Love Geissele triggers.

Love Geissele triggers as well but not the 3g anymore. I have since moved to JP triggers in my 3gun rifles and no longer any doubles. I still run Geissele 2 stage triggers in my work guns. I prefer 2 stage for the forgiveness factor on a patrol rifle.

Pat

My SG3 will double on precision shots, with my stock M4 upper, but on my 18" JP LMOS comp upper it will not.

It is bump firing, this is a comp trigger that was designed for very low recoil rifles.

It was doing it in my Noveske Rogue Hunter a comp rifle with very low recoil.

Very interesting thread.

I too have had this happen twice with my jewel setup and handing the rifle over to someone else. Never doubles in my hands.

I think some people just have a different squeeze/pull/grip whatever that causes a proper functioning trigger to double.

When the last time occured last year the guy said "COOL" and I said "NOT COOL, That's a very expensive rifle and it's not your's!"

I'm not familiar with the workings of some of the triggers listed but from what I've seen the shorter the pull and reset, the more it might malfunction with a certain type of squeeze/pull/whatever.

I don't use them, but that might be why people like the ar-gold type trigger that is designed to be safer IIRC.

Nick