Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Search

sperman

Like the title says, the old version returned threads, but now it returns posts. So if you hit a keyword that is used a lot in a thread you have to sort through lots of posts all in the same thread.

Is there a setting for this somewhere that I can change?

I tried messing around with my settings but could not get it to just show the topics. I can do it in the Advanced search by clicking the option to not show a PREVIEW. Maybe there's something in the forum definitions that would swap the setting around like it used to be .

I also have a ticket going on getting back our old super-fast "Sphinx" searching.

be

IP tech passed that back to me, as the Sphinx search engine is a third party software that our very own Rob Boudrie installed for us when we were in v.2.3.6. So I passed it on to him.

;)

be

Like the title says, the old version returned threads, but now it returns posts. So if you hit a keyword that is used a lot in a thread you have to sort through lots of posts all in the same thread.

Is there a setting for this somewhere that I can change?

After changing a setting in the forum's control panel, the IP tech's response:

It doesn't return the results EXACTLY like it did in IPB2, as it does show a brief description of the content, but it does only show a single result per topic. Which is what I believe you are looking for.

Did that make any difference?

be

It looks like it's still returning multiple posts from the same topic.

That doesn't give me anything to work with/test.

Everyone - please be as specific as possible when reporting bugs - it saves tons of time.

For example:

Where was the search done?

From the forum page, or Advanced?

Exact search qurey?

Regardless, we're not going to spend any more time on search bugs until after Bourdie re-installs the Sphinx super-speed search engine.

I'll (or he) will post when that's happened.

be

It looks like it's still returning multiple posts from the same topic.

That doesn't give me anything to work with/test.

Everyone - please be as specific as possible when reporting bugs - it saves tons of time.

For example:

Where was the search done?

From the forum page, or Advanced?

Exact search qurey?

Regardless, we're not going to spend any more time on search bugs until after Bourdie re-installs the Sphinx super-speed search engine.

I'll (or he) will post when that's happened.

be

Sorry about that.

I entered "search" in the quick search field in the upper right hand corner (not advanced search) and this thread came up multiple times.

Hopefully all will be better once the Sphinx is re-installed.  (I'm not really sure what that means, but I have hope.)

If you right click on your name in the upper left corner of the screen and select "My Settings", then in the General Settings, change the "Forum Results Display" in the "Search settings" to "Show results as a list" rather than "Show results like a forum"...

You will still get all of the posts within each thread that match the search criteria, but the arangement is in a more outline like format that makes it easier to read.

Didn't the old search have a little box to check that was "limit to this forum only".

I can just use the advanced, but I generally don't need to as long as I can limit to a specific forum like "rifles" or whatever.

In the lower left hand corner is a box labeled "Search Forum." I think this does the same thing.