Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone reload 40 here?

ilvwhtgrls

Lots of people reload 40 here. LOTS!!! What specifically did you read? I'm curious to know.

I've been using PD 40's for 4 years now and can't ever recall having a problem.

For those that have been doing it: did anyone notice the shape of the nose changed about a year or so ago? Did you do anything to modify your loads? I found my O.A.L. shortened by .025 with the new bullet.

I shot Zero and MTG flat point 180's in my TS with no issues. I found that the Zero 180JHP was the most accurate out of the gun and ran very well.

If you want to produce very reliable 40 I recommend the Redding GRX, run all brass thru it and you won't have any fat boys to throw in the reject bucket.

The TS requires basically factory length ammo or they won't fit in the mag or the gun. At short lengths you need to keep an eye out for pressure signs.

My load with 180gr JHP's was 5.1gr of WST and Federal Small pistol primers PF @ 171. The gun would actually run with loads downed to 3.8gr of WST. No I don't think that was minor mayb 120 pf, good for steel.

I tried moly coated bullets in the gun and the build up was just too much.

My TS hates certain profile bullets. The Fiocchi 170gr Truncated FMJ was the absolute worst, new recoil spring and new magazine springs and a pristine clean feed ramp and that particular Truncated profile would fail to feed all the way in the chamber. So yes, some profiles just don't jive in the TS.

As for reloads, my limited experience at present is with Rainier 165gr HP's and they fed beautifully. In initial testing the other day, (having only loaded a few hundred rounds) they were minute of clay bird on the berm accurate.

ETA: Angus runs Zero bullets at SAAMI spec OAL

Edited by Middle Man

My TS hates certain profile bullets. The Fiocchi 170gr Truncated FMJ was the absolute worst, new recoil spring and new magazine springs and a pristine clean feed ramp and that particular Truncated profile would fail to feed all the way in the chamber. So yes, some profiles just don't jive in the TS.

I've found this to be true as well - my TS will not feed TC profiles, but more rounded FP profiles feed fine. TC just die on the feedramp.

(This is with factory TC vs factory FP rounds, as I haven't yet gotten around to buying .40 dies due to my remaining stash of factory .40S&W.)

I've been loading Berry's 180gr FP with good results. Their 180gr HP didn't seem to feed as smooth.

I use the Dillon sizing die and have less than 1% that don't pass case gage. Most of my .40 brass is range pickups, so there is a LOT of glock brass in there.

• 1 month later...

Lol, indeed it is. I burned through the first K of 180gr Zero JHPs with good results. I didn't have any problems with feeding. My current load is 4gr of Solo 1000 with an OAL of 1.130 which seems a little short. Any ideas? The guns shoots pretty flat and the recoil is pretty light, would I benefit from bringing it out a little longer. Unfortunately, no chrono yet.

OK, I got to the chrono.

CZ TS

180 grain zero jfp 40 cal

4.6 grains TG

cci primer

1.165"

very light crimp

average, 162 pf... just under... doh!

i'm having some mag/feed problems that i think can be solved with new mag springs. i also ran into a couple long rounds which didn't help. it seems people have better luck with the shorter rounds... i may try running 1.135" to see if it helps my feed issues. consequently, i will need to back off of the TG load so i'll have to recipe hunt some more.

Lol, indeed it is. I burned through the first K of 180gr Zero JHPs with good results. I didn't have any problems with feeding. My current load is 4gr of Solo 1000 with an OAL of 1.130 which seems a little short. Any ideas? The guns shoots pretty flat and the recoil is pretty light, would I benefit from bringing it out a little longer. Unfortunately, no chrono yet.

I'm loading to 1.130 OAL. Can't be too much longer, inside dimension of the mag tubes are 1.20"

I'm loading to 1.130 OAL. Can't be too much longer, inside dimension of the mag tubes are 1.20"

I find that the upper limit of what can load in the mag is just a hair past 1.170". I set my press up for that and it looks like I had a couple go to 1.173" and it stacked up my mag. Oddly, it seemed like it still had plenty of room left to go before the rifling.

I find that the upper limit of what can load in the mag is just a hair past 1.170". I set my press up for that and it looks like I had a couple go to 1.173" and it stacked up my mag. Oddly, it seemed like it still had plenty of room left to go before the rifling.

1.130 average OAL would be a more accurate statement. I have some +/- 0.003 variations.

You have to bear in mind the magazine and frame dimensions are based off previous large frame 38 Super (with 1.128 OAL) designs (Tangfo variants and Caspian wide body from days gone by) which themselves were take offs of the original 75 design. The forged frame the TS couldn't be much larger front to back and be comfortable...in fact I cut all the forged checkering off the front and backstraps on my TS. It's in a thread around here somewhere from a few years back.

ETA: http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=59727&st=0&p=694208&fromsearch=1entry694208

Edited by Middle Man