Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

first trip to bianchi cup

Bacon

I'm going to go to the match for the first time, and looking for pointers.

Thanks

Pointers about what specifically? You might want to check the sticky threads the are at the top of this section of forums. Other than those, you'd need to post specific questions. Are you asking about shooting technique, range conditions, shooting procedures, match formats?????????????? :closedeyes:<_<:wacko:

Alan~^~

Thanks

Pointers about what specifically? You might want to check the sticky threads the are at the top of this section of forums. Other than those, you'd need to post specific questions. Are you asking about shooting technique, range conditions, shooting procedures, match formats?????????????? :closedeyes:<_<:wacko:

Alan~^~

I'm looking for anything, and everything from how early to arrive, how much ammo to bring. Anything that will make it a good experience.

Man! That could be a book! But here goes nothin'.

For the main match, you'll need at least 268 rounds, 192 to shoot and they take 6 from you at each event to run over the chrono. Adds up to 268, after you figure in the 100 rounds they require you to bring to each event. Practice ammo for however much practice you can squeeze in. The practice range will be a ZOO this year on Monday & Tuesday, especially on the mover, so count on getting there early if you can to get signed up on that one list if not all 4 lists. You can pick up your brass at the practice range so long as you don't hold up other shooters in the process, so it's a good idea,if you want to save it, to mark it in some fashion. As the day wears on and people leave their brass behind, it gets to be more difficult to find. The range personnel pick it up at the end of each day's shooting usually.

You need to be there by Tuesday P.M. to get registered and to attend the mandatory new shooters meeting that evening. How much before that time is up to you. Some will be there on Friday or Saturday before the match begins on Wednesday, just to get in some practice time.

If you can, connect with someone who's been there before, who can "walk you through" most of the procedural stuff. You'll shoot the 4 events over a 3 day period and your times will be in the shooters package that you get when you register. Be at each event at least 15 minutes (and even 30 would be better) before your scheduled time to shoot. Bring at least 100 rounds with you to each event in case there's a reshoot due to equipment failure. Be sure to not mix practice & match ammo if they're different. You MUST use the same ammo throughout the 4 matches. I can't emphasize this enough! I saw a guy getting ready to shoot the plates and when they pulled ammo out of his ammo box & mags, he had brought his practice ammo (lead bullets) in the box by mistake and was using JHPs in his mags. Instant DQ!

I understand there have been some upgrades at the practice range, but in the past, there were 2 plate racks, 2 sets of barricades and lanes for 4 shooters on the practical range at a time. Naturally, only the one mover and a l-o-n-g wait to use it. You can't put your name on that list but once before you shoot, and only when you're done can you put it back up. Makes it fair for everyone. Also, you'll be expected to run the mover controls for the shooter just before you at that range, so get there to watch how they work before it's your turn.

A can of white paint and a timer would be appreciated on the practice plate range, but not necessary. Sometimes you can get someone to run the timer for you and other times you're on your own with maybe another shooter. It's a pretty laid-back attitude on that, so if you help another shooter or 2 they will usually return the favor.

See what I meant about a book? And I've only touched the high points. I'm sure others will chime in with more suggestions, but my fingers are tired! :roflol:

See you at the Cup! :cheers:

Alan~^~

Edited by Alan550

Alan, thank you very much. Being new to this I broad stroked my question in hopes of getting a response like yours. You gave me a lot of valuable info.

I would only add to Alan's excellent preface to bring clothes suitable for hot and muggy to cold, wet and breezy. Much walking at practice range and match range is on gravel. So whatever shoes work best for your feet in that regard. If you plan to use the practice range, there is a fee for that. I thionk it is $75 for the week or $20 per day or something close to that. Also, for practice range either bring targets and pasters, or pasters then buy targets from the range. Lastly a chair, or stool since there is a signifcant amount of seat time too.

You'll love it, or at least love hating it! Eitehr way, you'll feel the love. :roflol:

Martin

Bring water to the practice or main range, lots if it gets nasty humid. Some kind of anti tick preparation would be good too. They are just waiting for new blood, yours will be fine.

Hotels are easy, either stay at the Holiday Inn (official hotel) or to save money there is an extended stay across the freeway. Look for it on I70 about exit 124.

I strongly encourage you to attend the new shooter's orientation on Tuesday. Last year was my first year at the Cup, and the new shooter's meeting is great - guys like Bruce Piatt take time out of their schedule to explain a lot of the little nuances of Bianchi that I otherwise wouldn't have had any idea about.

Bring water to the practice or main range, lots if it gets nasty humid. Some kind of anti tick preparation would be good too. They are just waiting for new blood, yours will be fine.

Hotels are easy, either stay at the Holiday Inn (official hotel) or to save money there is an extended stay across the freeway. Look for it on I70 about exit 124.

I just came down with lyme disease again. I am a tick magnet. Thanks for the info.

Stay at the Holiday Inn Select. Everything that goes on, besides the ranges, happens there. You have to register at the Holiday Inn from 8 to 5? on Tues. You will also have a new shooters meeting Tues night. When you send in your entry you will get a schedule of events. You will get your shooting schedule when you register.

I won't be able to show you the ropes as it doesn't look like I will make it.

Stay at the Holiday Inn Select. Everything that goes on, besides the ranges, happens there. You have to register at the Holiday Inn from 8 to 5? on Tues. You will also have a new shooters meeting Tues night. When you send in your entry you will get a schedule of events. You will get your shooting schedule when you register.

I won't be able to show you the ropes as it doesn't look like I will make it.

Kevin.......WTF ?

MJ

Martin is correct, and besides by staying at the Holiday Inn you will get to meet some of the shooters and form last friendships. To be honest I get just as much fun out of seeing people that I have meet at Bianchi as I do shooting now. I have friends in Australia, Italy, Germany, Switzerland, New Zeland, all around the world beside the many like Martin within the US! Hope to see you there.

Kim

Thanks

Just noticed Hartford, CT. I know of nothing in your neck of the woods, but if Holland Patent, NY (10+/- miles north of Utica) is doable for you, Ken Macari runs NRA Action Pistol Matches monthly. It may be worth a trip to his area before the Cup.

MJ