Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Stainless Steel Media

Sudden Death

Even though I shoot a fair amount of rifle. Having the brightest shiniest case on the market just isn't that important to me. Not to mention it would necessitate a $275 change out of my current equipment to process less brass per cycle while increasing the pain in the ass factor. No to mention having to dry the brass afterward for a day.

It definitely looks cool and if I were just setting up as a new reloader it may be tempting but it just doesn't show enough benefit for me to start over.

• 3 months later...

The biggest plus that I've seen is the very clean primer pockets and no media stuck in the primer holes. Anyone else have thoughts about it? The cases do look really good after going through the process.

Edited by an1913t

• 2 weeks later...

Even though I shoot a fair amount of rifle. Having the brightest shiniest case on the market just isn't that important to me. Not to mention it would necessitate a $275 change out of my current equipment to process less brass per cycle while increasing the pain in the ass factor. No to mention having to dry the brass afterward for a day.

Pretty much my very same thought. I don't need hyper-shiny brass, and I sure do not like having to dry the brass (even using a low temp oven, it's still a big PITA IMO). That, and the extra $$$ for a tumbler purchase.

The plus of SS media is that it lasts a lifetime (which could pay off the $$$ for the tumbler in the long run) and that there is less dust generated. Which is compensated by more mess due to water and cleaning solutions spills.

Edited by HotIce

Is anyone using this Stainless Steel media that I am hearing about on some other sites ? The pictures that I am see is unbeleaviable shinny and bright and very clean.

seem like it would polish your brass quickly, but it would be damaging to your tumbler in the long run.

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone using this Stainless Steel media that I am hearing about on some other sites ? The pictures that I am see is unbeleaviable shinny and bright and very clean.

seem like it would polish your brass quickly, but it would be damaging to your tumbler in the long run.

They use the Stainless media, which is small lengths of small diameter rod, with water and some cleaners, tumbled in a rotary tumbler.....not the vibratory ones most use. It takes up to 4 hours and then you have to drain the water, check for any stuck media in the cases and flash holes, and then dry the cases. I don't feel the need for that kind of hassle myself either. Looks great though. I will give them that. A guy off the SnipersHide forum was selling 5 lbs. of the media for about $50 for some miscut lot. A guy off the thread there mentioned it looked as nice without the media and just the water, dishwashing soap, and Lemi-shine. Here's a link to the thread there..... http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=1513345#Post1513345 It's currently a 49 page thread!

Edited by Sheldon

• 2 weeks later...

One of the locals here started using stainless media that he used at work for polishing jewelery -- these were small docdecahedrons about 1/8in across. Brass looked great until it started shattering in strange places (like a disc falling out of the side of a case), and we worked out the peening action was work hardening the brass. The tumber itself was fairly gentle, but after a few cleaning cycles wrote off his entire brass collection. After that it didn't seem such a good idea.

G.

As was pointed out, using a media such as stainless steel on brass is VERY hard on the brass. Your intention is to remove the dirt and residue. A media such as SS will work on the brass itself.

Guy

• 3 weeks later...

It is very interesting to follow the thread on this subject on SH. I have to admit that the cases look great after using the SS media, including the primer pockets. I'm waiting though to see if there are any issues with work hardening - should be an even bigger issue with rifle brass given the pressure differences.