Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Idpa Question ...... (ssr Division ... Of Course)

sensei

Hi all,

I would be at the next IDPA basic course, here in Italy, and i was thinking about an used (but absolutely new) 686 4" barrel, ............. the questions:

- Is a good choice for IDPA ? (here in Italy we CAN'T have the 625 4", because the only imported model is the 5")

- Can i use this revo with the cylinder machined, to use the full moon ? , are they LEGAL in IDPA ?

The price is very good (i think) 250 Euro (now about $ 210 - 215), but if i can't use the clips, ............ i don't buy it.

Thank you

- Is a good choice for IDPA ? (here in Italy we CAN'T have the 625 4", because the only imported model is the 5")

It's an excellent choice for IDPA. The added weight (over a K frame) makes them shoot softer and they are very accurate, reliable guns.

- Can i use this revo with the cylinder machined, to use the full moon ? , are they LEGAL in IDPA ?

No, you have to use speed loaders unless the revolver came from the factory using moon clips. There is a new Model 686 in .38 super that uses moon clip (factory standard), but I am assuming you are referring to the standard 686 in .357mag/.38spl.

You can't change the cylinder other than chamfering the holes. If you machine it to accept moon clips you could shoot IPSC but not IDPA.

You can be competitive if you practice (especially reloads) and everyone else is limited by the same things.

There are some very good revolver shooters that are more than competitive when using a speedloader gun vs. moon clips.

That is an excellent price provided it is in good condition.

Can you buy the 5" and cut it down to 4" or is this a legal problem in Italy? If I had a choice that is what I would do but I like the 625. Some 686 shooters like the smaller frames becasue they fit their hand better.

Can you buy the 5" and cut it down to 4" or is this a legal problem in Italy?

I'm afraid this mod cannot be done here in Italy, because you'd be altering the handgun in the way it becomes more concealable (illegal).

Moreover, we might be allowed to change the barrel with a shorter one only if the revo with the intended barrel is already catalogued to the National Firearms catalog, which is the list of legally puchaseable firearms.

I wouldn't rule out a gun just because it can't use moonclips in IDPA. Speedloaders can be blazingly fast and Bill Nesbitt is proof of that! Also in IDPA you will (very rarely) have to use the live rounds you have ejected from your gun somewhere else in the stage, this is much easier to do with loose rounds than with a partially full moonclip!

Paul

Luca:

The 686 is a great choice. I used a model 19 for IDPA up until this year when I bought a 686 in 38 Super (uses a moonclip).

Don't let the speedloader vs. moonclip thing bother you. You can get pretty good using Safariland Comp-2 speedloaders if your willing to practice a little bit.

Your right, great deal your getting on that 686.... :o

Good luck with whatever you choose.

100% hybrid Italian-American shooter !

;)