Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

shooting- one eye or two

Cross eye dominant here, and having some issues. I recently changed my grip (for the better!), and now, with my open gun, shooting with my right eye closed, I'm hitting 2" to the right at 20 yards (parallax, I'm assuming). I can shoot 2 eyes open, but as soon as I start going fast, the weak eye tends to close, throwing the shots off again. I've toyed with the idea G-man Bart gave me about covering the lense of the C-more with a business card, to learn to shoot both eyes open, but it slows me way down, as both eyes still have a sight picture, only one isn't seeing the target, just the C-more and business card. I'm now toying with the idea of buying an eye patch (insert diabolical pirate laugh here AAARRRHHH!), putting it on my strong eye, and just using my weak eye for a while, to try and strengthen it. I think it will not only help with shooting both eyes open, once the initial shock period is over, but it should also help with the parallax problem I'm having. Thoughts? Good idea? Bad idea?

Try slightly squinting the non-dominant eye, just enough to blur it slightly.

This, or the Brian method (at least IIRC his method, know I read it here somewhere) of sticking and peeling scotch tape on your clothing a few times to pick up some fibers than slapping it on your shooting glasses over your non-dominant eye (so you can still see with both eyes but blurring the weaker one out to make things easier), this was a breakthrough for helping me get adjusted, and after doing this for a week or so I moved on to the squinting like Duane said, then finally, nothing at all, now I don't even think about it and do not see double anymore. Worth a try...

Try slightly squinting the non-dominant eye, just enough to blur it slightly.

This, or the Brian method (at least IIRC his method, know I read it here somewhere) of sticking and peeling scotch tape on your clothing a few times to pick up some fibers than slapping it on your shooting glasses over your non-dominant eye (so you can still see with both eyes but blurring the weaker one out to make things easier), this was a breakthrough for helping me get adjusted, and after doing this for a week or so I moved on to the squinting like Duane said, then finally, nothing at all, now I don't even think about it and do not see double anymore. Worth a try...

I went through this process also and now simply squint naturally.

Putting the tape on a piece of cloth to pick up fibers first is something I've never heard of before. Brian certainly doesn't mention it in his book, it's a piece of scotch tape, nothing more.

Sure I read it here somewhere, but can't remember who exactly came up with it... Worked awesome so who ever said it, thanks!

Scotch tape is better than squinting because with the tape both eyes remain open. Your eyes work as a team. Squinting or closing one eye results in the other eye's pupil opening wider (the open eye is being tricked into gathering light for both eyes) than it should be for optimum focusing in the current lighting conditions.

be

Scotch tape is better than squinting because with the tape both eyes remain open. Your eyes work as a team. Squinting or closing one eye results in the other eye's pupil opening wider (the open eye is being tricked into gathering light for both eyes) than it should be for optimum focusing in the current lighting conditions.

be

I started out trying to squint one eye and couldn't get it to work. In dryfire it was fine, but when the buzzer would go off I would find myself thinking more about squinting one eye than what was going on around me. I currently use the scotch tape method. It definetely works; and I find myself WAY more relaxed when I'm shooting. I noticed that under pressure, I would close my left eye so hard that the entire left side of my face would be tense, including my jaw. With the scotch tape, both eyes stay open and I feel very relaxed. It just feels more free.

Note: I would recommend two sets of shooting glasses if you're going to use this method. One pair with the tape on it to use when it's your turn to shoot and one pair for when you're not shooting. Pasting targets with limited depth perception is a litte weird, and if I leave the taped glasses on all day I get a major headache. (Eye-strain I think)