Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Shotgun

dover0020

I am getting into 3 gun this year and have an old remington 870. Can i simply take out the plug in the gun to give me more rounds? if so is it as easy as it sounds, or am i better off buying a new shotgun? Thanks for the help.

I am getting into 3 gun this year and have an old remington 870. Can i simply take out the plug in the gun to give me more rounds? if so is it as easy as it sounds, or am i better off buying a new shotgun? Thanks for the help.

You can shoot the 870 in 3 gun. Most guys shoot autos (1100, Benelli, etc) due to speed. The capacity in most divisions is 9, so buy an inexpensive (Choate, Nordic Components) mag tube extension (+4) to get your capacity up.

Best bet... get a +4 tube, and go to a match. Take a look at what everyone else is shooting, and try what you can, then make your choice.

NEVER sell that 870... Never been a better defensive gun built.

Jeff

I guy that can run and 870 pretty well can just about keep up with the auto-loaders. Then, when they jam up...the pump gun can pass them right by.

Taking the plug out is a pretty easy task.

Adding an extended tube...not much more involved.

I'd suggest just going and shooting a few matches. See what it's like. Don't worry about the gear too much yet.

You will need a dremel or a large drill bit to machine out the dimple in the magazine tube in order to add the extension.

I have shot three-gun for about three years now and have run an 870 the entire time. Add that extension tube to get your round count up and go to some matches like others have suggested.

Here's a new suggestion. When at the matches, check out how everyone is loading the "scatter gun." There are several different ways, but the speed in pump shotguns for three-gun matches comes in the reloads and learning how to ride the recoil and cycle the gun quickly. Practice those reloads!

HAVE FUN!

Kyle

You will need a dremel or a large drill bit to machine out the dimple in the magazine tube in order to add the extension.

Unless the shotgun is old enough that it doesn't have "dimples" in the tube. :surprise:

The other question no one has asked is what are the other two guns? Do you know what division you are wanting to shoot in?

Heavy Metal the 870 with extension is perfect. If OPEN, LIMITED, or Tact Optics and it will depend on how good you are with the gun......

Depending on how old it is (I'm not sure how old of 870 we are talking about), once you remove the magazine cap, the little metal cup that sits in there is just held there by press fit and by carefully working around the inside edge of it with a screwdriver, it should just pop out then you can install the new extended mag tube spring along with the extended mag tube.

Careful though removing the magazine cap though, keep that pointed away from your face; more than one 870 that I have pulled apart has been missing the metal spring retaining cup and the spring just shoots out of the mag tube.

Personaly I like a regular 870 with vent rib cut down to about 22 inches over a rifle sighted short gun. I had mine re-cut for choke tubes, tight pattern is better for some steel & distance targets.

Besides the mag tube extension you might want to smooth around the bottom of the reciever. Reload a lot and guns will wear your fingers out from the sharp edges. Sling is worth having too to carry from stage to stage, get something that clips on and off easy. I don't like a bunch of stuff hanging off my gun so carry all reloads on a belt in Cal Comp holders. Open bolt indicator is required in our clubs matches. We run seperate Auto Pump and Unlimited classes. Best of the pumps are right up there with the Autos. Head to Head the Pumps are slower but not a lot. You can't catch the unlimiteds, they reload so fast.

Boats

Edited by Boats