Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

optical

snipermike

Hello to all , I've been shooting for awhile and now I would like to shoot in competition . I want to try 3 gun , my chioce for a handgun is the Glock 34, shotgun Bennelli M-3 super90,and AR. I'm on a budget ,well I'm trying my hardest to stay on budget . My question is , optics? With so many brands, styles, powers,and definnitely prices, which would you reccomend for my AR? I shop alot from various companies and receive their flyers from time to time and on the back page they have a sale on Konus brand scopes. To be exact M-30 1-4x24 with a 30mm tube . Would this be a good choice for a person on a budget and first time shooter in 3 gun? A few people tell me to spend the money , well easier said then done , and times are tough , I just want to make sure shooting competitively will work for me , get the experience , move on to better optics if I plan to stay shooting competitively. Would this be a good approach as a beginner in shooting competition?

First, welcome to the forum.

second go down to the rifle technical page and check out the Optics referance chart, lots of good choices.

Third, do a search in that section. Lots of threads on optics.

Last and most important, spend the money..... For a decent optic. You dont have to spend $2,000.00 for a decent optic. For three gun look for daytime illumination and true 1X at the low end. If you spend the money on a optic thats popular in three gun and decide its not a sport for you you can sell it and get most of your investment back. If you buy to cheap you may get stuck with it. You also will find less frustration and therefore give youself a better chance of liking it with a better optic.

Look at

Trijicon TR24R 1-4

Meopta Meostar 1-4

I am in the same boat, but I know one thing and that is I don't want to spend 7-800 on a scope then another 1-200 on the mount so I am thinking of trying out

the weaver 1-3 or one of the cheaper 1-4's. After reading all of the threads on this topic no one has convinced me that spending that kind of money

is going to really improve my results a whole lot. I am thinking that spending 3-400 for scope and mount should be good for at least a couple of years.

Also, keep in mind if you want to sell something on this forum you need 50 posts which for me will take ~2 years or more.

I hate to say it, but spend the money, otherwise you will be regretting it later as the 'cheesy' scopes either fail(break) or dont perform up to your expectations

For me, I use a leupold CQ4 1-3 power, and its perfectfor me, no power for the short, pistol stages, and w/ the 3 power turned up i can effectively hit 8 inch plates at 300 yrds....

I got mine second-hand so I lucked out, but I hearthey are running between 800 and maybe 1100???? mount is included....steep i know but i just dragged it out ofthe safe today and shot a 1 hole group at 100 yrds and it hasnt seen the light on day in at least a yr....

If you're on a budget, do what I do. shoot irons! It's just as fun as tactical, trust me!

I took this route this year. It was a great learning experience. I spent time talking to other people about what they were using. I still haven't made up my mind yet on what optic to get. :huh:

I think I am leaning towards the Leupold custom shop shotgun 1-4. You can have a custom Bullet Drop reticle made if you know your load data (all under $250). The only draw back is that it doesn't have illumination... But, neither do my iron sights :devil:

I currently have a Vortex Strikefire on my "optics" upper and it seems to be holding up well especially considering the price. However, it is only really acceptable for close up hoser type stages.... I wouldn't want to shoot at 300 yards with it.

I will second the idea of "buy quality first", otherwise you will end up with a pile of stuff that wasn't great, and you will still end up buying the quality in the end...

Edited by HS101

+1 on spend the money on a good optic. Midway has the Burris AR P.E.P.R. scope mount on sale right now, I've got one and love it. Until I could afford a good scope (Burris XTR 14) I used a scope for turkey hunting that I had (Leupold), no comparison what so ever. Spend the $6-800 for the scope you won't regret it.

I'm just getting into 3-gun myself, and I went with the Millett DMS 1-4x24 scope. A buddy had one, and I got to try it out at a match before buying. It's pretty nice, and the price is even better. Admittedly, I don't know a lot about optics, but figured this would be a good one to start out with. If I upgrade later, I'm thinking I can always sell it or mount it on my .22 rifle.

SWFA seems to have one of the best deals on them right now, with the Burris PEPR scope mount. http://swfa.com/Millett-1-4x24-DMS-PEPR-Combo-P42148.aspx