Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

S&W misses mark again

mwx40x40

:surprise:

Have a smith make a barrel for ya out of say a shilen blank,brownells sells them but they have to be threaded

and contoured.

Jim :)

Why would you want to do that to a gun you just paid $1200 for? (Even though I have done that before) I would just think that with a new run and if you wanted them to sell then some of the things would need to be changed for the better not just left the same or made worse. Just for the record I would have bought one of the new ones if they had had some changes. Without the changes I will wait and try to buy one of the first run for a lot less money as they will come down or wait until the second run comes down in price. Then I will order the barrel blank and have it made to my specs. :D

:rolleyes: 1200 for a 625, surely not.

I bought a new 625 a while back and the thing wouldnt group at all. best I got was 4 inches at

~ 15 yards, I put a new barrel on it (problem solved). I also bought an older one model of 1988

its not all that accurate either.

I have rebarreled two 627 8 shooters and the accuracy was improved a lot.

And several more S&W's .

Its a pain to cut down a barrel blank well not a pain just time consuming but the results have

been very good.

Im not impressed with S&W's quality but they are fixable into a nice gun.

Jim

Sailors ;):devil:

Nope, most of the Revo guys rip off 6in barrels and put them on their 8 shots :roflol: It seems that as a lot of Revo shooters progress they prefer longer sight radius, as they are more forgiving on tough shots. That is why the 25-2 and Mo. 28 barrels are at a premium and why a lot of us wish SW would give us what we ask for, not what they "THINK..east coast accent on...." we want....which has been going on for many years....

Not a dig at them, just an opinion formed after years of experience with them....

DougC

:rolleyes: 1200 for a 625, surely not.

I bought a new 625 a while back and the thing wouldnt group at all. best I got was 4 inches at

~ 15 yards, I put a new barrel on it (problem solved). I also bought an older one model of 1988

its not all that accurate either.

I have rebarreled two 627 8 shooters and the accuracy was improved a lot.

And several more S&W's .

Its a pain to cut down a barrel blank well not a pain just time consuming but the results have

been very good.

Im not impressed with S&W's quality but they are fixable into a nice gun.

Jim

Sailors ;):devil:

I am talking about the 627s 38 Supers that had .357 barrels on them and if I am not mistaken the new run had the same barrel. Of my other 627s all of them .357s they can shoot groups of 1" or less at 25 yds. Just had to find the right bullet and powder combination. On the 625's I own 2 5" PC and they both will group around 1" to 1 1/2" at 25 and I got them both off of gunbroker for $725 each. Try finding them for that price again, I was just in the right place at the right time. :D:D

Those 627 8 shooters... Were they .38 Super or .357 Magnum? I have a feeling I know the answer to that one, but let's see if you can surprise me here.

Dave Sinko

Both, I have a 686 that I put a 6 inch shilen barrel on it ,it shoots really nice, Dennis Lorensen is the name

of the shooter who I put the shilen barrels on his 8 shooters, he really likes the way they shoot, one

of them is compensated. The 625 I was refering to has a Lother barrel on it , its polygon reifleing.

Before we get in a huge uproar about custom barrels, let's all take a reality check and remember that most stock S&W revolvers are plenty accurate enough for the games we play.

There are some incompatibilities to keep in mind--for example, the 627-4s chambered in .38 Super seem to do better with larger diameter bullets than the .355" bullets that are often marketed for .38 Super. No big deal as long as you know what you're dealing with.

As a general rule, the stock tubes shoot just fine. Does anybody remember the year that Mickey Fowler won the Bianchi Cup (a game where 50-yard accuracy is truly important, unlike most of the stuff you see in USPSA/ICORE/IDPA) with a 6" 686 using the stock barrel with a simple bolt-on Wichita underlug? That opened a lot of eyes. Everybody thought you just had to have a fancy aftermarket barrel for Bianchi.....Mickey proved otherwise.

If there's something about a particular aftermarket barrel you like, and you're willing to spend the bucks--hey, go for it! But don't delude yourself into thinking you're going to automatically enter a whole new world of accuracy by replacing the stock barrel, because that is not likely to happen.

Or so it seems to me.*

(*credit goes to Bruce Williams for that phrase!)

:surprise:

Was getting at the if the fella wanted a 5 inch barrel, not to just change barrels for the heck of it,

me having accurancy problems with the 625 I mentioned, is because the barrel was not a good one

the rifleing looked like it was not uniform, beside Ilike to experimant mostly because Id like to

know whats what in case I get asked to do something to guns in general.

I didnt use any other powder than clays but I did try several differant bullets including hornady xtp and some

match 45's I had layiung around that have been extremely accurate in a variety of guns.

Jim/Pa

Sailors ;):):devil: