Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

650 Powder bar popping like a cork

I'll try to make this short. I've had a problem since day 1 with my 45acp setup that came with the press. Dillion has been called 3 times over the 2 yrs I've owned it on this. On the forward stroke at the point where the only thing that needs to be done is the failsafe rod pulling the powder bar back to the next powder drop position. Every 10th or so round the powder bar pops forward so hard that primer are turning side way and upside down also powder is jumping out of the powder check station. Like I said it is the only funtion left to be done with the handle 3/4's of the way forward. Dillion thought the first time it was cause by me using new and mixed brass with regards to the flaring bell but the case has already come off of the flare. Next it was the failsafe spring should be tightened half its width. Next they sent me out a new powder bar assembly because it was thought the thickness of the bars where to much. I come to find out today they are with in the thickness they should be. I have cleaned the bar and track it takes and emery cloth the edges and flat spots. I also tried silicone grease on the leading edges of the bar which did work for a 150 rds then the problem came back. I'm in no way mad at Dillion they have tried to solves this problem for me. But that is kind of hard for them to see what I see. Has anyone else had this problem if so I could use the help. This last reloading session was less than enjoyable. Jeff

You need to rotate the powder drop station one direction or the other to get this to stop. I had to tweak my fail safe rod to get things perfect and smooth and my new 650 is now perfect. I even called Dillon and had them send me a new fail safe rod to try and couldnt get it to be perfect with out tweaking so I do think that is necessary.

What I found was that for the fail safe rod to cycle in the bell crank smoothly I had to have the powder station rotated so much that it would touch the primer buzzer housing. With some bending of the rod I now have it about 1/4 inch from touching the primer buzzer housing and I can short cycle the handle and the fail safe rod smoothly moves back and forth in the bell crank slot. The problem I had was it was sticking and not moving fully from one side of the bell crank notch to the other and when I made to necessary adjustments I was back to the powder hopper hitting the primer buzzer.

So start lightly tweaking the fail safe rod and find the sweet spot for the powder station to be and that bell crank wont snap any more.

Also be sure the failsafe rod is installed correctly. The upper end of the rod goes into the oval hole in the rear plate, and comes out the round hole in the front plate. If the failsafe rod is installed backwards you will experience binding sometimes, but not always. :ph34r:

Also be sure the failsafe rod is installed correctly. The upper end of the rod goes into the oval hole in the rear plate, and comes out the round hole in the front plate. If the failsafe rod is installed backwards you will experience binding sometimes, but not always. :ph34r:

Thanks but all is installed proprely according to the directions. Believe me I've spent countless days watching it cycle and making absolutly sure everything is running right according to the 650 manual. I even took measurements off of my 9mm and 38/357 conversions to see that they all match my 45acp setup with regards to the manuals instructions. This is driving me to drink. But I still love my press. Jeff

Are you sure that the powder funnel is not sticking in the case thats being

filled with powder. Mine sticks in .45 only, probably due to the extra surface

area ?? If thats the case you have to polish the outside of the funnel ??

I only bring this up because it's caliber specific !!

All of the above and lubricate the cases. Preferably with either Dillon or Hornady case lube.

PLUS, try re-installing the old powder bar return spring onto your bar. This MAY allow the bar to come to a stop, the case then slides off the funnel and then at the bottom of the stroke the failsafe trips the bell cranks plates.

Are you sure that the powder funnel is not sticking in the case thats being

filled with powder. Mine sticks in .45 only, probably due to the extra surface

area ?? If thats the case you have to polish the outside of the funnel ??

I only bring this up because it's caliber specific !!

Yes I'm sure

All of the above and lubricate the cases. Preferably with either Dillon or Hornady case lube.

PLUS, try re-installing the old powder bar return spring onto your bar. This MAY allow the bar to come to a stop, the case then slides off the funnel and then at the bottom of the stroke the failsafe trips the bell cranks plates.

Case lube is not the issue as the case has already come off the flare. Its when the failsafe rod pulls the bell crank plates. The powder bar seem to be hanging up some how. The failsafe rod is doing what its suppose to do. Its the powder bar that seems to want to pop forward every so often. And I do mean POP forward.

I'll try to make this short. I've had a problem since day 1 with my 45acp setup that came with the press. Dillion has been called 3 times over the 2 yrs I've owned it on this. On the forward stroke at the point where the only thing that needs to be done is the failsafe rod pulling the powder bar back to the next powder drop position. Every 10th or so round the powder bar pops forward so hard that primer are turning side way and upside down also powder is jumping out of the powder check station. Like I said it is the only funtion left to be done with the handle 3/4's of the way forward. Dillion thought the first time it was cause by me using new and mixed brass with regards to the flaring bell but the case has already come off of the flare. Next it was the failsafe spring should be tightened half its width. Next they sent me out a new powder bar assembly because it was thought the thickness of the bars where to much. I come to find out today they are with in the thickness they should be. I have cleaned the bar and track it takes and emery cloth the edges and flat spots. I also tried silicone grease on the leading edges of the bar which did work for a 150 rds then the problem came back. I'm in no way mad at Dillion they have tried to solves this problem for me. But that is kind of hard for them to see what I see. Has anyone else had this problem if so I could use the help. This last reloading session was less than enjoyable. Jeff

If you have two powder measures swap the one you are using on the .45 for the one you use on the other calibers.

If you have two powder measures swap the one you are using on the .45 for the one you use on the other calibers.

Geeeeeeeeeeez :wacko: . I never thought to do that. Yes I have seperate setups for the 38/357 & 9mm. Will swap one of the powder systems with the 45 acp bars and see what happens. Sometimes I feel so stupid. Will see if the problem goes away. Thanks. Jeff

• 4 weeks later...

Never thought of that.

I have the blue tab and spring on the failsafe rod wound up against the slot when I push the handle hard forward without a case or primer in the system, when a priemr and case are present this ensures the soring is m=not over compressed but will certainly return the powder bar. That way I have very little slack in the system, making sure I get the bar back early in the timing and fully back.