Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Bushnell 6500 1.25 - 8x

jobob

Looks like it could have some 3 gun applications.

http://swfa.com/Bushnell-125-8x32-Elite-65...ope-P13138.aspx

A few things that would make me hesitant:

1. 6" of eye relief. That's REALLY long. I'm not even sure the LaRue SPR-E would get that thing out far enough on an AR.

2. For that kind of money, you're approaching Trijicon TR24 territory.

3. No illumination on the reticle, which for me is a deal breaker on a 3 gun optic. Daytime visible illumination is HUGE for close up targets.

If you're looking to spend that kind of $$ on a scope, get a TR24 and a LaRue mount. You'll be glad you did! :cheers:

I have a TR21 and love it, and I know the TR24 would be a great scope. That IS huge eye relief, but it's similar to the TR21. It's mounted on a continuous Predator rail on my POF, so the scope could go anywhere on that gun. The reason I'm thinking of it is that tremondous power range, which could really come in handy on some stages at Ironman where it's sometimes difficult to pick out the target at 300 yards through the grass.

I do love the bright reticle on the Accupoints, but I also have a non-illuminated Meopta 1-4 that is an excellent scope, too. The 3gun matches I've been to are in broad daylight and having a plain black reticle doesn't seem to be a real disadvantage. Some of those tactical guys seem to do alright with no illumination on their front sights (although a fiber optic front would make some sense).

I don't know. I may not get one, but that 8x is sure attractive!

As Trapr pointed out the deal breaker with that scope if the FOV.

Guys keep making the mistake of thinking that because they can make that target look bigger in the scope its better. However when you are only looking at a 10ft circle at that magnification you spend a hell of a lot more time searching for the target in the first place, and forget about transitions from target to target at 8x. The clocks a tickin.

To my competitors I say, crank em up!

Yeah, the FOV certainly isn't optimal. However, the FOV at 1.25 is nearly identical with my TR21, and I don't feel like it's really a drag on the close targets.

I agree that the 10' fov at 8x might result in a lot of searching for targets.

It was just a thought. The adjustment range on the scope really drew my eye. There have been times when the high end would have really helped, but those times would probably be outweighed by times when it would be a hinderance. OTOH, where is it written that the power has to be set at either the low or the high end? Using a 4 - 6x setting could be useful. But it might be nice to have the 8x option occasionally.

Without a true 1x, a scope is useless in this game as far as I'm concerned. I have a rifle on loan from a friend with an aimpoint and a 3x magnifier. I've yet to find a better setup. It is fast and accurate at any range.

There is no need for 8x power at 300 yards. A 2x would be enough for me to get hits every time, and anything more than that is just gravy. Remember, the target we're shooting at is 6" by 11" for the alpha zone alone!

Without a true 1x, a scope is useless in this game as far as I'm concerned. I have a rifle on loan from a friend with an aimpoint and a 3x magnifier. I've yet to find a better setup. It is fast and accurate at any range.

There is no need for 8x power at 300 yards. A 2x would be enough for me to get hits every time, and anything more than that is just gravy. Remember, the target we're shooting at is 6" by 11" for the alpha zone alone!

I think that Dave Neth shooting his Leupold 1.5-5x might take exception with you on that one. I do prefer a true 1x, but it isn't necessary to do well at this game. The reason for the 8x would be target definition. At Ironman some of the targets are a resetting popper set on a hillside in the grass. After a few hits, the popper becomes somewhat camo. Sometimes they are very difficult to see, even with a 4x. Looks like you've only shot one kind of target. One thing that's fun about this game is the variety.