Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

STI commander 2011 in 9mm?

Aircooled6racer

That's pretty straightforward. You can't have a steel full-length dust cover in ESP. A standard short steel dust cover, yes. A full-length polymer dust cover, yes. A full-length steel dust cover, no.

Right on the money. What I did to add weight legally is use the longer (than a regular commander) wider “CM” frame.

• 2 weeks later...

From the IDPA Rule Book under EXCLUDED Modifications (NON-Inclusive list) for ESP we find:

1. Full length dust covers of carbon or stainless steel.

That's pretty straightforward. You can't have a steel full-length dust cover in ESP. A standard short steel dust cover, yes. A full-length polymer dust cover, yes. A full-length steel dust cover, no.

I have another 2011 dust cover related question... I'm building a 5" STI 2011 in 9mm with bushing barrel and a long standard width aluminum dust cover. Ya think the long aluminum dust cover would be legal in ESP since it's not "carbon or stainless steel"? Of course providing I meet the weight requirements...

Either way you would have to remove the recoilmaster as that has definitely been ruled illegal.

That has been reversed.

I have another 2011 dust cover related question... I'm building a 5" STI 2011 in 9mm with bushing barrel and a long standard width aluminum dust cover. Ya think the long aluminum dust cover would be legal in ESP since it's not "carbon or stainless steel"? Of course providing I meet the weight requirements...

I suspect it'd be ruled illegal. The purpose of the rule was to prevent full length dust cover guns. Allowing one would circumvent that.

Brett, I'm not really sure what you're intending to accomplish with an aluminum full-length dust cover. That won't add enough weight out front to make any difference in muzzle flip. All it will really do is severely limit your holster choices.

I'm just lazy and don't want to cut the dustcover :blink: Didn't think about the holster thing, was going to have Elderton make me one for it...

From the IDPA Rule Book under EXCLUDED Modifications (NON-Inclusive list) for ESP we find:

1. Full length dust covers of carbon or stainless steel.

One interesting question here. Note from the rulebook states excluded modifications.

If your pistol comes stock with a long dustcover, this wouldn't be a modification, but a stock item. I know this is not the spirit of the rule, but it gives you something to think about..

Steve

Interesting interpretation. Since I can't really see anyone welding a full-length dust cover onto their non-full-length dust cover equipped gun, I think we'll have to interpret the verbiage as saying you just can't have it period. :lol:

I totally agree with you Duane that this is what the rulebook writers intended: no dustcovers period. I was just reading it and was thinking to myself...hmm, definitely doesn't seem like a modification if it is stock on the gun... kinda a contradiction in terms.

Oh well.

Steve

PS: I enjoyed your article in the Blue Press this month (March).

• 5 months later...

I built one; it uses a standard (Gov) length but full width dust cover. I don't remember where the mag well came from but it's steel and fits in the box, I also run SV mags.

sticom.jpg

this is a very nice looking gun jmorris i wonder how one in 9mm would shoot? what is the total investment if i may ask??

I actually built the pistol in this configuration first and decided I liked it so much I’d try an ESP version of it.

openshort.jpg

i love this gun as well an like the last i wonder how it would do in 9mm but major pf. i love the look and lines of the wide body 1911 but i have always wondered how does the grip feel in comparison to the standard 1911? i am sure that is a stupid question but i wanted to ask anyways

It’s the same pistol with different top ends, both are 9mm. The open setup is very flat but a bit more violent than my full sized open shooters, I guess there is a trade off for the fast swing. The 9mm ESP top end is one of the best feeling IDPA pistols I have.

The grip is obviously larger than a SS 1911 but I do sand off the checkering and fat front strap that is standard on the grip before applying grip tape to reduce the diameter.