Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

X-5 Lube

rider82

I have read from several sources, GGI being one, that seem to prefer grease type lube's. As tight as these things are fitted, is grease a must. I primarily use FP10 in my STI's. I ran about 50 rounds through my X-5 in about 20 degree temps, the gun was lubed with Magnalube and it ran fine, just wondering what the general consensus is.

I have read from several sources, GGI being one, that seem to prefer grease type lube's. As tight as these things are fitted, is grease a must. I primarily use FP10 in my STI's. I ran about 50 rounds through my X-5 in about 20 degree temps, the gun was lubed with Magnalube and it ran fine, just wondering what the general consensus is.

from what I have read - which is the greater value - experience or opinion -- all the people who shoot a lot in competition seem to suggest that grease/lube is the way to go - that it builds up and softens the recoil - but it takes a lot of cleaning to get it off after the fact - there are so many opinions about gun oil - if its sheer conditioning and rust proofing - eezox seems to come in first with corrosion x coming in second - I don't shoot anywhere near enough to warrant grease/lube - but I know I have bought used mags that had rust on them and corrosion x - got rid of it and has kept it away - and the barrels were easier to clean - something I read even suggested that the corrosion x increased the speed of bullet departure from barrel -

I use corrosion x because I saw that true value hardware stores on the west coast stocked it - and made a call to a local true value here in the heartland - and he said he could order it - now he carrys it -- eezox was not going to be that easy to find - the corrosion x spray can be sprayed into little bottles with the spray tube they include - I am able to fill small bottles with enough for single application use -

I guess with a big date you want the 90 dollar cologne - but for just a night out the old spice is fine - lol

and lets not forget to give a shout out for Brian Enos's slide glide (from hennings custom site) When you care about performance you start taking care of your weapon in every possible way. The best way to ensure reliability is to lube your slide, barrel and frame to reduce friction. Brian Enos' Slide-Glide is top-of-the-line lubricant you soon cannot live without.

addendum - http://www.6mmbr.com/corrosiontest.html - for those interested - I guess eezox is available from midway - I have never smelled it but some say its too strong for cleaning inside the house

Edited by Particulars

Matt, that was sort of what I was getting at, when I used the Sig grease and magnalube most of it ended up on the end of the slide when I put the gun back together. I'm not a gunsmith, but the x-5 seems to be fitted about as tight as my STI Eagle. I guess the question was does grease offer more protection, or should I just keep the rails lubed with FP10 and not worry about it.

I had a custom 1911 with .002" between the frame rails/slide grooves as measured by my calipers. They recommended a lightweight grease. (Wilson Ultima Lube--Universal).

My rule is: grease if it slides, oil if it rotates, unless otherwise specified by the entity providing the warrenty.

Edited by WS6

• 1 month later...

I still use the old RIG Stainless grease on all my auto pistols...lube the rails with it. My STI seems to like it just fine! My jar is 15 years old, but I think that one of the companies started making this stuff again. It works in both stainless and carbon steel guns.