Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

This is what I shoot....Help me decided which reloader

This is what I shoot and plan to shoot over the next few year and I'm trying to decide between the Dillon 650 and 1050.

I read the FAQs which are outstanding and I'm just looking for some more input before I make the purchase.

Pistol: I shoot a 9 mm for 3 Gun and I can get ammo for pretty reasonable prices, it might not make sense for me to reload since I only shoot about 1,000 rd/year. I have a Brazos Pro Sx (38 Super) that I don't shoot much and I may shoot this more in the future and I would reload this. I also shoot 357 mag and 40 for recreation and I may end up getting a limited 40 built and I would reload this. Other pistol calibers that I may purchase in the future and shoot a little (recreation, hunting, non-competitive) would be 460, 500, 454, and 357 sig.

Rifle: Most of what I shoot is 223 and since ammo is coming down in price again, I don't know if it would be worth the headache to reload. However, I am planning to shoot a lot of 6.8 in the future and this is what is making me think about reloading. I will also want to reload .308 that I will practice and shoot for 3 Gun. Other rifle calibers that my just be easier to purchase since I will not shoot in large volume are 458 SOCOM, 300 RUM, 450 Marlin, and possibly 338 lapuaa or Weatherby 338-378.

Thanks in advance for any input!

This is what I shoot and plan to shoot over the next few year and I'm trying to decide between the Dillon 650 and 1050.

I read the FAQs which are outstanding and I'm just looking for some more input before I make the purchase.

Pistol: I shoot a 9 mm for 3 Gun and I can get ammo for pretty reasonable prices, it might not make sense for me to reload since I only shoot about 1,000 rd/year. I have a Brazos Pro Sx (38 Super) that I don't shoot much and I may shoot this more in the future and I would reload this. I also shoot 357 mag and 40 for recreation and I may end up getting a limited 40 built and I would reload this. Other pistol calibers that I may purchase in the future and shoot a little (recreation, hunting, non-competitive) would be 460, 500, 454, and 357 sig.

Rifle: Most of what I shoot is 223 and since ammo is coming down in price again, I don't know if it would be worth the headache to reload. However, I am planning to shoot a lot of 6.8 in the future and this is what is making me think about reloading. I will also want to reload .308 that I will practice and shoot for 3 Gun. Other rifle calibers that my just be easier to purchase since I will not shoot in large volume are 458 SOCOM, 300 RUM, 450 Marlin, and possibly 338 lapuaa or Weatherby 338-378.

Thanks in advance for any input!

If you are going to load more than one caliber I would recommend the 650 over the 1050 much easier to convert calibers in the 650 than the 1050.

Did you read this? Which Dillon?

BK

First, you are asking this on a Dillon forum....

IF you are open minded look into the Hornady LNL AP Great Press for the money, better powder measure than any dillon, and comparable to the 650 but less cash up front and less for caliber changes. Put the saved cash into primers and powder.

550. Best all around pistol/rifle progressive made. Easy to set up, easy to switch calibers.

For the REALLY low volume stuff and rifle load development work, I keep an old RCBS single stage on the

bench.

Thanks everyone for your comments! I did read the entire Dillon FAQs they were great.

Since I will mostly reload 6.8 (600-1000 rds/yr), 308 (400-500 rds/year), 38 Super (500 rds/yr), 458 SOCOM (200-300rds/yr) and 40 (300-400 rds/year) it probably isn't practical to get the 650 or the 1050. I am also probably better off with single stage press for the other rifle rounds since I probably won't reload more than 20-50 rds/yr for most of those and I'll probably want to work up and try different loads.

I'll do some research on the 550 and the Hornady press as well. Although I wouldn't mind shelling out $2K to get started with the 1050, it really doesn't sound like the right tool for the job for me, unless I quit work and decide I want to shoot 40-50K rounds a year.

I really appreciate all the feedback. Thanks again!

Damien

FWIW, once you start reloading you WILL shoot more and then reload more. :)

Before I started I was told that I was not going to save any money reloading, I was just going to shoot twice as much for the same money. They were wrong...I started shooting 4 times as much!