Corey's road to success

Corey

• Replies 539
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've got a JP LMOS carrier in it, although mine is black. Swapped the one from my old rifle into it already.

steel or al?? the new ones I linked are aluminum (like the ones they made several yrs ago). even lighter. I can't justify $300+ for an upgrade from my steel lmos carrier, but I'd be all over it if I was building a new gun. but since you are swapping, NEVERMIND! :)

-rvb

Edited by rvb

• 2 weeks later...

Welp, got a new toy to tinker with...

20150127_102916_zpsa6wevuh1.jpg

Its a Millenium Palma rifle that I'm going to use to dabble in F-Class with this year. Need to do something about the stock so it'll ride in a sandbag and get a scope for it.

Fun stuff ahead!!

Ugh, I hate winter sometimes. Winter storm cancelled the indoor match yesterday. Gotta wait a month before the next one. Can't wait to start shooting outside again. Little late as usual, but I've started the reloading stockpile of ammo for the year. Got close to 1K rounds loaded this week. Plan is to get a few month's worth of .40 set aside then get to work on rifle ammo for 3gun. Need to do some load testing done with the new rifle if the weather cooperates.

• 2 weeks later...

I think the new 3-gun rifle is about ready. Need to get to the range and zero the scope and do some load testing now.

20150212_101326_zps89dyzy7i.jpg

CMT billet receiver set with Rock Castle Pro-Am engraving

Vortex Razor 1-6 in a Warne mount

Samson 15" Evo rail

18" WOA SPR barrel

JP Comp

JP LMOS carrier

UBR Stock

AR-Gold trigger

10# on the bathroom scale. Certainly the heaviest rifle I've had. Trying something new this year...

Just got in a 100-round case gauge from Shockbottle. Holy crap have I been missing the boat by not having one of these. If you check all your match rounds like I do, then you need to check this out. I gauged and boxed 1000 rounds today and was astonished how fast it is. I don't think I'll ever use my single hole Wilson gauge again.

I so [don't?] wanna see that scope.....

is the gauge for pistol or rifle rounds?

are YOU really getting ammo loaded before you need it ? ;) ha!

-rvb

Its a pistol gauge. Its the one made by Shockbottle and sold by places like Ben Stoeger. They are working on a .223 one now I guess but having difficulty with the reamers. Ill be getting one when they are available.

And yea, can you imagine. ME having ammo loaded ahead of the season. What is the world coming to, lol.

ok, i didn't remember seeing a rifle one available yet, but I guess since I had just read your post about your rifle I was thinking the two were related. Thought maybe something new and wonderful had come out!

I would like one for .223, more so than a pistol even, but the reamer thing seemed like a big challenge... if they couldn't show consistent headspace in all the holes I'm not sure what the point would be... I figure when they come out I'm going to wait a bit and see what other folks have to say about them.... I'll let you be the guinea pig! :D

-rvb

I don't have one anywhere. Thought EZwin was dead this year anyway?

It "looks like" playing around w/ the latest Practiscore version you can get activity/classifier reports out of it now, which is what we used to need to use EZwin for... but no one I've talked to can verify it works. Considering our first match is a classifier match, I want to make sure I have a path to get scores to HQ.... belts and suspenders maybe, but I haven't found anyone who can verify both end of the suspenders (practiscore) are actually attached...

-rvb

Yea, we might want to have our bases covered for next month. Yikes, the season starts next month!! :surprise:

Went through the Pro-Am registration process. Wasn't sure I was going to shoot this match again this year but when push came to shove, I was ready to sign up last night.

Yea, we might want to have our bases covered for next month. Yikes, the season starts next month!! :surprise:

Went through the Pro-Am registration process. Wasn't sure I was going to shoot this match again this year but when push came to shove, I was ready to sign up last night.

yea, it seemed like a long ways away, then all of a sudden it's almost here!

pro-am sounds fun.

I'm considering that carbine match at acc in march... maybe not take my 3-gun rifle but my shorty....

-rvb

They say variety is the spice of life. Got a new toy this past weekend. Instead of my hunting bow being double duty I can now get it back to a hunting bow and use this one for a dedicated spots and 3-D target bow.

20150221_170329_zpskpt9iwno.jpg

They say variety is the spice of life. Got a new toy this past weekend. Instead of my hunting bow being double duty I can now get it back to a hunting bow and use this one for a dedicated spots and 3-D target bow.

20150221_170329_zpskpt9iwno.jpg

That's a good looking bow Corey, bet that'll shoot real nice! What's your hunting bow? I stopped in a bow shop yesterday and realized how old my bow really is...

• 2 weeks later...

Made it the range to work on rifle shooting a bit (AR). Shot a few rounds through the new build to get it "broken in". Slow fired some single shots while I rough zero'd the scope then did some double taps and snap shots. No timing, just getting some rounds down the barrel. I really like the AR Gold trigger in this gun. Felt fast on the quick shots and was very easy to use when I started shooting for precision on load development stuff.

Had 4 different loads with IMR 8208XBR and the Berger 73gr bullets. I tried to get out there before the wind picked up but that didn't happen. I will need to go back and shoot at some further distances to verify some stuff. All my loads at 100 shot well under 1". There was more left/right drift than vertical which is what I was expecting. I was a little rushed and didn't really wait for the wind to settle at all, just shot through it. I've still got some loads left from all the testing so ill get back out soon and try to play the wind as well to really see which group is best. I've got a couple that I want to see how they pan out at 200 yards.

First match of the year is in the books, 2015 is off an running!! Maybe I should have practiced a bit in the offseason? haha

Was a little cold and my hands didn't want to cooperate with mundane activities like hitting the mag release button, etc. I didn't video, so I'm sure my feelings of my shooting are different than what actually happened but considering the wet/muddy ground I was happy with some of my movement thru the stages. Shooting with rvb always makes me realize I can/need to be so much more aggressive. I'm just throwing time away. looking forward to getting some more range time.

total time for the whole match you were 0.43 faster than me.

4 mikes and 87.7% of the points compared to my penalty free 92.3% of the points is what hurt you. :)

I was actually disapointed in the 92%.... that's about what I usually do w/ the prod gun.

-rvb

Edited by rvb

Yea, I noticed that too :) That's rust trying to be knocked off. I was moving faster than you but you hit more points at speed. I noticed a few more C & Ds than normal from you but I figured it was because you weren't accustomed to the recoil of a major load :roflol: