Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Halfman Custom ??

turbocomp38s

You get what you pay for.

Josh is a good guy, but I saw a gun he built for the singlestack classic a few years back and it had milling marks and burs on it. I have seen some really nice ones he's built also, but a few well. If you know Jacobe then ask him because he's built a few for him.

TC38

Part of what you get with a custom gun is pride of ownership. If it looks like crap but shoots 1" at 50 yds, I'll sell it tomorrow. If it is beautiful but only shoots 2.25 at 50 yds, I am a happy guy.

Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog or shoot with an ugly gun...and they cost what they cost...

With Josh you HAVE TO make it VERY clear that you want the gun to look good too! Keep checking in on him in you can, it's easy for me because he live less than a mile from my house. Josh built a single stack 45 for a friend of mine that's probably the most beautiful pistol that I've ever seen anywhere, while some of his other work, well...

Ed

I have 2 Halfman opens guns. 1 is my wifes which is a beautiful weapon and it shoots well. The other is still unshot in the white but is fit really well. My only complaint with Josh is he is not timely and doesn't return phone calls promptly at all. He does some different grip textures that are really cool and aggressive.

I'm not sure who you checked with on prices, but there are a few people offering open guns at less than $3000. Check with Chuck at Shooters Connection about the Bedell Custom open guns he has listed. They look to be selling for $2500. JL Hardy is another good gunsmith to try. He hangs out here on occasion. I'm not sure what his prices are, but some of the people I know who have delt with him said his prices are resonable and are very happy with the guns he built for them. He also builds a great 9mm open gun if you are looking to go that route, there are some pics of his guns in the pictures forum here. Benny Hill is another one that builds great open guns and also visits the forums regularly. I'm not sure about his price on a complete gun, but I talked two friends into sending him their open guns to have the top ends rebuilt and they turned out great and at a really good price.

blkbrd's gun sure is a beautiful piece of work, but if it doesn't run all you've ended up with is an expensive paper weight.

• 3 weeks later...