Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

reloading scales

EEH

I have a dillon digital scale I check it with the weight about every fourth time I use it--I also have an --rcbs --beam scale--when I put 4.0 gr in the dillon -it will always weigh more in the beam scale .2 to .3 gr..

I have never had them weigh the same powder charge the same--the DILLON scale gives me close to book vel--I mean if the book says 4.3 gr = 850 fps it will be close--so I use the DILLON --just thinking out loud---humm I wonder--anyone else ever tried this.. :unsure:

.02 --just one little dot left out,,

Edited by EEH

I use BOTH, to verify charges....I use the digital to set-up the measure....and then a beam, set to my desired charge....to verify as production moves along...I like this method, because I can get really close with the digital...and then watch a specific weight on the beam....I have noticed a very small discrepancy between the digital and the beam....I think this is due to static/magnetic anomalies and their affect on the digital....I have 2 digitals (one is an extremely accurate scientific scale)....my Hornady reads a bit off, but the scientific (syco) measures almost exactly what the beam shows....the beam is an RCBS 5-0-5....have not had any troubles beyond that....

Used to use a beam to verify. But the Dillon has proved to be very consistent. I keep away it from direct airflow (fan/vent) and check calibration with the 50 gram weight they provide.

It's all good.

Jim

I have a check weight set and use it frequently.

I have been using the Dillon scale since they came out but I still have my RCBS 504 as a backup. If you only run an electronic scale what happens when it won't turn on? I figure it would suck to get caught without a working scale (if I only had an electronic one that was acting up or broke) so I keep my balance bean as a backup.

Neal in AZ

the dillon electronic scale is a very good scale, but, also, like all digital scale, it needs some attentions like stay in the room for same minute to ambient to the temperature and umidity ... I use it and I test it everytime before

the beam scale like rcbs is almost good to verify powder charges, but it takes more time to change its weight

0.2-0.3 grains of SD is not a good thing, I think, the dillon scale isn't zeroing

:cheers: