Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Must have training.

Get'em Duck

Ok I've been reading up on some different classes (mostly manny and ussa) I'm looking to go through a class to try and become a better shooter/competitor. What classes have some of you gone through and how much did you walk away with?

I live in Western Nebraska so there is nothing close by so feel free to post no matter where it is.

Thanks guys.

In no particular order, I've taken competition courses from Todd Jarrett, Matt Burkett, and Frank Garcia, with an upcoming course with Bob Vogel. I've taken tactical courses from Jim Cirillo (now gone) and Benny Cooley. All very good.

Take any course from any of the above and you'll walk away with alot. What matters, though, IMHO, is what you keep, and that only comes from diligently applying and practicing what these guys will show you.

It might help to let us know what class and division you shoot in. What are your strengths, weaknesses, etc.

Before you sign up for a class, converse with 3 or 4 of the instructors and see how they blend with you.

I'd recomend you contact Burkett, Seeklander, and Avery for a start. Avery and Seeklander are both relatively close and offer coaching as well as classes.

I agree with MarkCO. I shoot Limited exclusively, so when I was trying to decide who to take a class with I ended up choosing Manny Bragg. The choice was pretty clear to me ..... but you might shoot some other div. that might make you think Bob Vogel (Prod.), or Max Michel (Open).

Thanks for the replies.

Here's my info.

Been shooting USPSA for almost a year. I'm just a D class Single Stack shooter @ 39.004%. I took second place D class at Area 3 (I had a few brain fades that cost me) I'm looking for a class that will help me pull it all together. I like watching the limited and open M and GM guys for technic but I can only bring so much of that back to Single stack as they don't have to reload as much as i do. I enjoy single stack and don't see me getting away from it anytime soon so i like the idea of learning from a single stack point of view.

Thanks

Duck

Thanks for the replies.

Here's my info.

Been shooting USPSA for almost a year. I'm just a D class Single Stack shooter @ 39.004%. I took second place D class at Area 3 (I had a few brain fades that cost me) I'm looking for a class that will help me pull it all together. I like watching the limited and open M and GM guys for technic but I can only bring so much of that back to Single stack as they don't have to reload as much as i do. I enjoy single stack and don't see me getting away from it anytime soon so i like the idea of learning from a single stack point of view.

Thanks

Duck

A hint, DON"T watch M and GM shooters, especially in Open and Limited. It is like watching Johnson win a NASCAR race and then trying to duplicate it with your Astro Van. I try to pick a shooter with the same approach and a little better in class, and I might use some of his stage approach, technique. Reloads, and proper footwork to keep from having standing reloads, are huge in SS. I think you will be happy with a Seeklander class at USSA, but again, interview at least three before you commit and make up your mind after you give them their job interviews.

Here is a different vantage point. Since you are currently a D class shooter I would suggest working with a local B, A, or M shooters first before spending big $$$ on a high end class. If you are “Stuck” in D class then you are not executing the fundamentals correctly, or you are doing them correctly but very slowly. A local shooter that is proficient in the fundamentals should be able to point out your weaknesses and give recommendations on how to fix them. I am not saying that a class with a top level GM won’t be good. It will. But as a D shooter I can almost guarantee that 90% of what is taught in the class will go over your head and it will be a waste of money. I think you really have to be a B class shooter or better for the top level GM classes to be cost effective.

The best thing you can do for yourself is to become the best student of yourself. If you can’t identify what you are doing wrong then change how you observe your shooting. Being able to see the flaws in your own shooting should be your first priority. Once you can objectively observe your shooting then it becomes that much easier to pin point issues and resolve them. If you can’t do it, then you are forever reliant upon other people spoon feeding you what you are doing wrong as well as solutions. It’s the same old saying of “Give a man a fish and he eats for a day. Teach a man how to fish and he can eat every day”.

Edited by CHA-LEE

The best thing you can do for yourself is to become the best student of yourself. If you can’t identify what you are doing wrong then changing how you observe your shooting. Being able to see the flaws in your own shooting should be your first priority.

Yep, from a guy who went from a basic intro course as a newbie to Master class in 1 year! Great advice.