Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Last USPSA match of the year

Aristotle

Although I wasn't really "working on" anything of this match (I know, shame on me) I just wanted to see what would happen when I let the hands go and kick it in autopilot. No results yet, so I was unable to get any data. On my last stage, I shot the arrays kinda funky, don't know why I did, but I did, something to work on I guess.

As always, let me know what you see. :cheers:

TIA, Ari

Although I wasn't really "working on" anything of this match (I know, shame on me) I just wanted to see what would happen when I let the hands go and kick it in autopilot. No results yet, so I was unable to get any data. On my last stage, I shot the arrays kinda funky, don't know why I did, but I did, something to work on I guess.

As always, let me know what you see. :cheers:

TIA, Ari

Watching steel fall is fun isn't it lol. You would role the steel pretty good then on the last one miss it. Its hard to keep that visual patience to see what you have to see to get a long line of steel. Also, and this was brought up to me after my last USPSA video, when coming to the last shot in a position, you should be starting to move. Call that shot and make it count but you should be getting out of there when that shot breaks. It something I have to work on as well.

This is what I see…..

Stage 1 – Is your weak hand moving in time with your strong during the draw? Or is it chilling out until you get the gun out of the holster. Get both hands to the gun as fast as possible. The faster you build your grip the sooner you can start shooting. Building the grip early in the draw makes the biggest difference in stages like this one where your first target is a far/tight shot. In a perfect world your grip should be completed and solid before your gun is fully extended and presented on the target that way you can break the shot as soon as the gun is on target.

Stage 2 – looks pretty decent. A little bit of pulling the gun in and poking it back out in the front section of the stage. Keeping the gun up and out would allow you to engage the targets sooner as you come into the shooting position. Doing this needs a fine balance between movement speed and not crowding the ports/walls/barrels. The faster you want to move the more tendency you are going to have in pulling the gun back during movement. The back of the stage looks like you may have engaged the targets in a less than optimal order. I don’t know how fast/slow the drop turner took to expose its self, but it might have made more sense to activate it as you came to the port and engaged the lone target in the port (which you did), then engage the DT as you are moving to the last port and finish in the port. But once again, that would all depend on how fast/slow the DT was on appearing.

Stage 3 – The back two shooting area’s could have been shoot a couple of different ways. The way you shot it, you made the back left targets a lot harder than they could have been by choosing to shoot them further back. Doing this created a very precise position you needed to hit in order to engage the targets. You can see a hesitation in your movement in trying to hit this position. If they used solid walls for this stage you would have been lost in where to go for the position because you couldn’t gauge where you were at in your movement. I think it might have made more sense to keep to the right and shoot the right back targets then come back to the left to finish on the left back targets. Doing this would have allowed you to really haul ass between the shooting positions and there would be a lot more “fudge factor” in your body setups to gain access to the targets. But without shooting this stage or seeing it in person I couldn’t really say which way would be better. Either way may be a wash as far as the stage time goes?

Stage 4 – big time losses in the setups for the right side open/blocked target strings. You turned each one of them into two separate “Setups”. Since this was a keep the movement flowing kind of stage it would have made more sense to make one setup for the blocked target and then engage the open one as you were exiting the position. At the end you engage the three open targets on the left then run half way forward to the port to engage the last two paper. Since you could engage the paper further back through the port why not engage them right after the last paper on the left? Or maybe find a sweet spot further back that would allow you to dig in and shoot the open paper on the left and the ones through the port from a single position? It’s a lot faster to stand and blast verses running forward to gain a slightly better shot. But then again, not being able to walk the stage and see what shots were or were not available makes it hard to give suggestions.

Stage 5 – Strange target engagement order on the second port. It would have taken less time to finish the same target pair then move to the next. ROCKIN RELOAD!!!! That is awesome!!! In the last shooting position you setup in too shallow. It would have made more sense to ease into the final position as you were engaging the first few poppers and then be solid for the last few.

The only thing I see happening on just about every stage with movement is that you have the gun up and ready to rumble for the shooting positions, but default to having it mounted and ready a little too soon. This slows your entry/aggressiveness into the shooting positions. Just like a standing one shot draw, as soon as the gun is fully mounted and extended you should be able to fire. The same goes for coming into the shooting position. You still need to break down your movement early to get the gun up and mounted but a little more delay is needed to maximize your movement into the position and minimize the time you are in the shooting position. Its like watching a shooter come into a position then raise the gun to shoot. You are just doing the opposite. You are raising the gun to shoot, but delaying on getting into the shooting position. I hope this makes sense.

What you didn't slip or fall on this one :roflol:

Stage one during the transition to weak hand I noticed that you draw the gun with your strong hand just like you would if you shoot free style or strong hand only( at least it looked like you did) which looked like it made for a tough transition to your weak hand.Try drawing the gun with your strong hand just on the grip of the gun towards the bottom of the grip this makes more room for your weak hand to get on the gun. Kind of hard to explain in words.

Looking good keep it up!

BK

What you didn't slip or fall on this one :roflol:

Stage one during the transition to weak hand I noticed that you draw the gun with your strong hand just like you would if you shoot free style or strong hand only( at least it looked like you did) which looked like it made for a tough transition to your weak hand.Try drawing the gun with your strong hand just on the grip of the gun towards the bottom of the grip this makes more room for your weak hand to get on the gun. Kind of hard to explain in words.

Looking good keep it up!

BK

lol, no. None of that falling on my face this weekend.

Hmmm, good tip on grabing the gun by the bottom. I'll have to give that a try.

What I do now when I draw and have to go to my weak hand is grab just the front of the gun, and not allow my thumb to wrap around the grip. So when i transfer, I have room for my "support" hand thumb. Never even thought about just grabbing just the bottom of the gun.

brb going to go try it rite now...

thumb and index finger around the bottom of the grip, works like a champ.

also on stage one, you shoot left to right, strong hand, too me that is fighting the natural recoil tendency of the pistol. Let the recoil help drive the pistol into the next target.

No results yet...

I find it pretty inexcusable that the results haven't been posted yet.

yeaaah, I know what you mean. They did mention that they weren't sure if they could/would post the results on the USPSA website considering this was technically an "outlaw" match. Or something was mentioned anyhow during the RO walk through.

I also didn't see their main Stat guy there, so, it may be a while. :unsure:

thumb and index finger around the bottom of the grip, works like a champ.

also on stage one, you shoot left to right, strong hand, too me that is fighting the natural recoil tendency of the pistol. Let the recoil help drive the pistol into the next target.

Yeah, I just got back from trying it! Works great! It's one of those, how come I've never heard of this before kinda things. And something I also need to practice more of. :cheers:

On the down side, I just broke my CR speed holster muzzle platform. :sad: I'm a fish out of water. :reallysad:

No results yet...

I find it pretty inexcusable that the results haven't been posted yet.

Not to hijack Ari's post but was it match this weekend? Unless you've done stats for your club I suggest you give those folks a little lea way, unless you want to volunteer to help. I know how it is, I get my guys to get me stages, I get the stages organized, run the match on match day, put everything back up, and still try to have the results done that night but like I said if I don't get them until the following day, well unless your volunteering to do them next time, ease up a bit.

Now if the match was last weekend....shame on the stats person :angry2:

Huskysig used to run the club that I run now.

So I'm sure he knows how that goes. =)

Cool, I just have a ruff spot for people that complain about results not being posted when most of them, not saying anybody here, are the first to leave the range with out helping put anything away then complain about stages and that the results where posted by the time they got home.

Huskysig used to run the club that I run now.

So I'm sure he knows how that goes. =)

Cool, I just have a ruff spot for people that complain about results not being posted when most of them, not saying anybody here, are the first to leave the range with out helping put anything away then complain about stages and that the results where posted by the time they got home.

yeah, I hear ya! Husky's "been there/done that".

This club does do results and awards/pins after we've broken the stages down. I stuck around for results (1st B open, 5th OA).

Edited by Aristotle

dude-drop the weak hand...yer losing time running that far with both hands on the gun.

which stage?

I've been experimenting with both styles actually. I created a thread about this (both hands) before, and it was a wash with folks having arguments for both sides. This match, I tried to keep the gun up more in my face, with both hands on the gun, which wasn't too bad. I have usually ran with only one hand on the gun, albeit gun was also really high in the air.

I'm not about to post negative comments about volunteers, but as Aristotle has pointed out the results were read after tear down was completed. I wasn't able to stick around that long, unfortunately. The results have been calculated, they just need posting which is the easy part. I've done enough after match stats to know that humping steel is a better deal.

As for some shooting critiques, just a couple things I noticed. As you know, I don't have any experience with Open so take these with a grain of salt. I'll go in order of the stages that correspond to your video.

Stage 1: The second string (strong hand only) would have been easier shooting right to left. As someone else pointed out, you wouldn't be fighting the gun as much.

Stage 2: You seemed a little slow getting to the first two targets and you really slowed your footwork down to engage them. Then it seemed like you were really hunting for the first target in the first port. You basically setup twice for the same port. Setup once, shoot three targets. Ports two and three looked ok. Where I differed from you was at the end of the stage. As I stepped on the bear trap, I shot the first target to the right then quickly transitioned to the drop turner. Then I hit the last port on the right for the two final targets. I think doing it this way saved time because you could shoot the DT while moving forward instead of moving back out to engage it.

Stage 3: Arrays one and two looked ok. As someone else pointed out, you were really hunting for the targets in the last two arrays. If you charged into the doorways, you would have been quicker with wide open shots.

Stage 4: The two sets of target arrays on the right: charge in for the tight target on the left, the glide out shooting the target on the right. Again as someone else pointed out, you setup for those two arrays twice. The three targets of the left of the hallway, perfect. Closing the distance to the port was fine. It was a small port and trying to shoot those two targets from too far back would require a lot of hunting.

Stage 5: Normally when I shoot quad arrays like those, I shot them bottom-bottom-top-top. On this stage because it was all about speed and keeping some momentum, I shot them right bottom-right top-left bottom-left top. I did this because I saw the targets on the right first. I could then shoot the left targets as I was leaving the position. I think you could have dismounted the gun with your left hand between the ports, but I'll defer to more experienced shooters.

• 3 months later...

I thought you was smokin on these. Love that shootin and moving, I have never done that except at a real close range, maybe 2 or 3 yards (6-9 feet not an equivalent to multiple neighborhood backyard distances like you guys do)

but...where do we peek at the results. I looked but did not notice a communal URL!

earl