Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Gun Handling

Sarge

I'm with ya on all this stuff Nik and thats why I quoted ya. You know your stuff pretty well and explain it well also. I have seen some overzealous MD quotes lately just just wanted alittle clarification for everyone. Nothing more.

Flyin

I figured you were with me --- and I thought it was a good question that deserved an answer for posterity's sake here. I certainly wouldn't have known how to deal with the situation on my first day as a match director. Heck, I didn't know how to deal with a lot of stuff ---- but with help from some experienced folks in the section, I managed to muddle through and learn a little here and there....

A friend and I volunteered to become assistant match directors in July of 2003. In August 2003 we were the match directors --- our predecessor took our volunteering as his cue to drop out.....

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is there any USPSA club out there that does NOT have a website set up?

Does it NOT have a page labeled something like "Newcomers read this first!!!"

And in that section, does it NOT outline safety procedures or when the gun is to go hot?

I mean, at the least, is there a point of contact email listed where a new guy can get info via email from the MD.

What I am getting at is nobody is completely clue-less about the safety area when they show up to shoot their first USPSA match.

Or are they? :unsure:

So the regulars know better and should get DQ'ed. If you're new and don't want to rock the boat, then tell the MD. Let the MD handle it.

And in that section, does it NOT outline safety procedures or when the gun is to go hot?

I mean, at the least, is there a point of contact email listed where a new guy can get info via email from the MD.

What I am getting at is nobody is completely clue-less about the safety area when they show up to shoot their first USPSA match.

So the regulars know better and should get DQ'ed. If you're new and don't want to rock the boat, then tell the MD. Let the MD handle it.

Clueless would be putting it lightly, I've all kinds of things, and heard even more. Just because you have a website with all the rules, even a handout with all necessary information, you can't fix stupid. And we all started out stupid. My favorite is the $10.00 fabric one size fits all holster with the plastic retention device, many a DQ visit for covering your hand while holstering and drawing, even after being told what to watch out for.

Are you kidding? Yes, there are lots of ranges that don't have websites. Go to USPSA.org and see for yourself.

shootingchef wrote:

My favorite is the $10.00 fabric one size fits all holster with the plastic retention device,

My favorite is when they put their magazines in backwards in their magazine pouches...I mean when the velcro flaps aren't in the way. :roflol:

A few years back, a buddy picked up a media packet from the Steel Challenge/USPSA booth at the SHOT Show. In that media packet was a DVD. IIRC, it had a segment with Jim Scouten on at least the steel challenge.

Uggg...Huh!

Why isn't there a USPSA.org channel on YouTube with that video segment uploaded to it?

Clueless would be putting it lightly, I've all kinds of things, and heard even more. Just because you have a website with all the rules, even a handout with all necessary information, you can't fix stupid. And we all started out stupid. My favorite is the $10.00 fabric one size fits all holster with the plastic retention device, many a DQ visit for covering your hand while holstering and drawing, even after being told what to watch out for.

shootingchef wrote:
My favorite is the $10.00 fabric one size fits all holster with the plastic retention device,

My favorite is when they put their magazines in backwards in their magazine pouches...I mean when the velcro flaps aren't in the way. :roflol:

Come on now, what ever happened to "run what you brung". Where I am a member new shooters are told to put mags in their pockets if they don't have pouches. Not eveyone does it backwards like I did. I bought everything I needed to "look" like a shooter before I ever went to a match. :rolleyes: Hell, I bought a loader and 2 years worth of components before I shot a match. I've never even fired factory ammo at a match that I can recall. But hey, thats just me. ALOT of guys show up at local matches and have no idea what is going on.

Hey Shooters, Happy Holidays!

Just trying to get some conversation started and learn a little in the process.

Now, finally, to my question. If you are at a match and see a squad member pull a gun out of his bag or holster to show a buddy what would you do? It is a DQ, but how would you handle it if you are NOT an acting RO? Does an RO need to witness it or can a DQ be issued on hearsay or admission? How would you bring it to the attention of an RO and when?

Now, if you ARE an acting RO how would you want to be told about it? Would you want to hear " stop"? Would you want to be interrupted anytime before the start signal of another shooter or would you want to hear about it after the present run?

Also, any input from a shooters perspective would be great also. If you were loaded and ready to go would you want to hear, "STOP !"? What if you were already shooting? I don't think I would want to hear it either way unless I screwed up or there was a dire emergency.

Thanks for any consructive input you may have.

From a different perspective, if I'm the one doing something unsafe how would I want it handled? I'd prefer to be stopped immediately by anyone who observed it. If I didn't know the rule I may ask to see a match official to have it described/documented and I'll take the consequences. If I did know...then, doh...I'll man up and take the consequences. Just don't let me keep on doing something unsafe while an "official" is tracked down.

The reason my wife lets me bring our son to these is because of the "obsessive" safety of the organization.

My "poorly considered, unconstructive contribution that I'll regret" response to the drift about the hilarity surrounding newcomers: Now that I've been doing this for 7 months or so, bought Rudy's and a CR Speed belt, joined this forum and posted 20 times, I now feel like an "insider" (I still have my old trapshooting earmuffs, I hear the snickers, and am duly embarrassed). But I'm not sure if we're supposed to encourage new people to try this game so we can laugh at them and their equipment, or do we want them to just stay away? ;) BTW, lovin' the secret handshake...

^^^ sometimes blocking out the snickers while you have your old trapshooting ear muffs on is NOT such a bad thing.

Just sayin'

And you're not really in until you learn the super secret challenge and pass-words. Then after that, I think the next level is that you get the decoder ring.