Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

SV 5" sight tracker or SV 6"

Scott Steele

I'm on Gunbuilder and have completed a 5" sight tracker and a 6" for limited, both in 40 S&W. I've read about the sight tracker being an advantage due to the front sight being attached to barrel. Then I read about how the 6" is softer to shoot.

If you own a SV sight tracker or a SV 6" weigh in your pros and cons or which one would you buy and why?

Like Carl suggested, I'd see if you can get your hands on both and shoot them. Personally, I don't think the sight tracker is really an advantage. I do think that the longer sight radius of the 6" guns is an advantage. I'm not sure who told you 6" guns shoot softer, but that's not necessarily true; it depends on how the gunsmith builds the gun. There are some very light 6" guns out there now that are (for lack of a better term) snappier, for folks that like that feel and there are heavier 6" guns for folks that like the smoother, slower feel. With a 6" gun you probably have more total combinations of variables (barrel weight, slide weight, where lightening is done, etc) to move weight around, but I'm not sure you can get the SV folks to do that quite the same as a more traditional custom gunsmith.

Yes, yes I know the SV folks are going to jump up and down about the last statement, and I'm not knocking SV, but it's a team of folks building guns, not one guy/gal building guns. That's why I said it's not a traditional custom setup...maybe not better or worse, it's just different. In other words, not everyone in that shop is identically skilled so there's going to be a range of expertise, ability, the way they like to perform a certain operation, etc. That's not to say anyone there is anything short of completely qualified, just that it's a little different from when one person does every gun that goes out the door with their name on it. R,

I have shot both side by side and have decided that for the most part its a wash as to which is better for me. The 5 in sight tracker is great for up close stuff while the 6 inch gun shines on those stage with 25 yard + steel and paper. I tried loads from 155 grains up to 220 grains. I have decided that you just need to pick one and practice. I have plans to shoot standard at the next world shoot, so I am staying with a 5 inch until after that.

:surprise:

I think a lot of shooters are looking for a magic solution in getting a sight tracker or six inch limited gun= I allways use my

caspian limited 5 inch bushing barrel as a comparison, Ive had this gun for a lot of years, I think and feel

that what ever you decide to use ,putting a lot of rounds through the gun is the solution to getting what

you want, Ive compared the 5 inch sight tracker and the six inch guns with my old Caspian :bow::wub: and I see

no advantage to changing to the sight tracker or 6 inch gun. I ;suppose id get used to what ever I

shoot but really putting rounds through your gun is a solution to a lot of what your looking for.

Jim/Pa

Sailors :)

I've had a full dust cover 5" sight tracker and now I'm shooting light weight 6" guns. From a B Class perspective, the sight tracker isn't much more than a creative way to lighten the slide. If I was a Master Class and reading the sights better, that opinion might be different.

I've had a full dust cover 5" sight tracker and now I'm shooting light weight 6" guns. From a B Class perspective, the sight tracker isn't much more than a creative way to lighten the slide. If I was a Master Class and reading the sights better, that opinion might be different.

Now, I can track the front sight much better with a 5 inch short dust cover sight tracker. This coming from a B class shooter that just made A class the last time I picked up my limited gun. The 6 inch gun I loose the front sight in the middle of the recoil impulse, the sight tracker I can track the sight the entire time in recoil. Oh I do have a new 6 inch gun on order just for the cool factor.

I've shot around 35/40 000 rounds through two SV sight trackers and it works !

I think two shooters won't necessarily feel the same things while shooting the same type of gun.

It took me around 15 000 rounds to actually SEE the front sight remaining in my vision while the pistol cycled.

I wasn't aware of this until I shot one Sight Tracker and one "regular" pistol side by side in a training session.

It probably happened since day one with the Sight Tracker, but I hadn't clearly saw this until this session.

For me, it's more than just a marketing tool, it WORKS.

My experience is limited to 5 inches guns, thanks (this is irony ) to IPSC box.

I have a 5" sight tracker and couldnt be happier. Do i think it makes a huge difference... probably not but since ive had it i do feel im watching my front sight a little better. Its probably one of those things a GM will notice more than a B class shooter like myself. I think it cycles faster too since there is a lot of slide missing. I shot a friends 6" edge and kinda liked it. Its not a fair comparison since Ive shot thousands of rounds through my SV and only 2 mags through his. I did think the STI cycled slower, noticed the sights dipped down more when the gun was cycling (not me jerking the trigger i think it was the extra barrel and slide weight). I did not notice any difference in muzzle climb between the 2. I cant say for all guns but love my SV and will build another as soon as more funds so i have a back up.

I and my friend both have normal STI 5" and sight tracker STI 5" in .40S&W caliber. I don't see the difference (I shoot mostly open) but my friend likes sight racker better (he shoot mostly limited). I don't think the sight tracker is really an advantage for normal slide gun but I do think that the longer sight radius of the 6" guns is an advantage for longer distance shooting but in short distance 5" guns may have faster transition target to target. I would like 6" gun but in Europe we shoot IPSC and 5" gun is way to go over here, so I don't have to think about it. Or is there possibity to shoot 6" in Steel Challange... I don't know...

Wow G-Man you sure do know a lot about SV....Where do you get this information?

6in

The sight radius is a plus for most all shooters.

Finding the best overall balance in a 6in is the key to sight recovery.

The balance of the pistol with a 6in hybrid barrel is not ideal. Have the numbers to prove it.

Some muzzle weight is good but to much can give some extra bounce and natural balance in your hand is lost.

In testing with several team shooters we have found the 6in to perform best with a 6in bushing barrel.

The major key to a 6in pistol the slide velocity doesn't matter near as much as sight recovery.

You can only shoot as fast as the sights recover.

The stereotype of a 6in pistol is to shoot a lighter bullet for the best performance.

I would suggest trying the heavier projectile (200gr) in a 6in as well.

The proof is in the time.

5in Sight Tracker

Tested and Proven to perform very well.

The hybrid barrel allows for more static muzzle weight and to effectively reduce the slide mass without changing the structural integrity of the slide.

Again muzzle weight is great but there is a fine line of to much.

From a design stand point some of the best shooting limited pistols I have found to be with a standard dustcover, hybrid barrel, stainless guide rod, steel or stainless grip, magwell, and mainspring housing. (Julien can give some insight here)

Bringing the weight to your hands offers a great balance and sight recovery.

Overall what works well for Shooter A may not be ideal for Shooter B. There will always be a personal preference.

In a perfect world everyone's muscle structure, grip, and form would be perfect.

Keep pushing the envelope of performance and back up your data with numbers.

6in

The sight radius is a plus for most all shooters.

Finding the best overall balance in a 6in is the key to sight recovery.

The balance of the pistol with a 6in hybrid barrel is not ideal. Have the numbers to prove it.

Some muzzle weight is good but to much can give some extra bounce and natural balance in your hand is lost.

In testing with several team shooters we have found the 6in to perform best with a 6in bushing barrel.

The major key to a 6in pistol the slide velocity doesn't matter near as much as sight recovery.

You can only shoot as fast as the sights recover.

The stereotype of a 6in pistol is to shoot a lighter bullet for the best performance.

I would suggest trying the heavier projectile (200gr) in a 6in as well.

The proof is in the time.

5in Sight Tracker

Tested and Proven to perform very well.

The hybrid barrel allows for more static muzzle weight and to effectively reduce the slide mass without changing the structural integrity of the slide.

Again muzzle weight is great but there is a fine line of to much.

From a design stand point some of the best shooting limited pistols I have found to be with a standard dustcover, hybrid barrel, stainless guide rod, steel or stainless grip, magwell, and mainspring housing. (Julien can give some insight here)

Bringing the weight to your hands offers a great balance and sight recovery.

Overall what works well for Shooter A may not be ideal for Shooter B. There will always be a personal preference.

In a perfect world everyone's muscle structure, grip, and form would be perfect.

Keep pushing the envelope of performance and back up your data with numbers.

First of all have one built throught the STI custom Shop and save yourself a bunch of money and get a real Schuemann Barrel not the SV knock off. They offer the 5" Tribrid barrel as a standard pistol now and it is called the Aperio. You can also have one made through the custom shop anyway you like it or in a six inch configuration. I have both a 5" and 6" inch configurations built by Millennium Customs and they are sweet. When I get back to shooting on a regular basis I will go with the 6" gun with the Tribrid barrel for steel & 3 gun and the 5" for Limited. When I shoot the Iron Man next year I will propably put a C-MORE STS Sight on the the 6" and use it in open.

You can get the dove tail mount for the STS and fit a second ported barrel and you have a open gun. I'll post a picture on my blaster later in the week if I get a chance.

When I first built the 5" a few years ago I really liked the balance and feel of it compared to my normal bull barrel configuration. It wasn't until a few months later whn I laoned it to a freind to try out and pulled out my old limited gun for a match that I noticed a big difference.

Again it is all personal taste and what you are used to shooting but if I were to start someone new it would be with a ribbed barrel configuration.

Are you Brandon? Just a guess from the "B" in your user name. If so, we've spoken quite a few times. I only ask because I always prefer to know who I'm addressing :)

I actually said I didn't know whether SV would be flexible on the idea of moving weight around the way some shops offer, so I wasn't passing myself off as an SV "expert" by any stretch of the imagination.

Now since I'm clearly not an SV expert, and you must be, feel free to correct me if I said anything inaccurate. Last I knew SV described itself as a gun "factory" (off your website). That doesn't imply one guy/gal building each and every gun, from start to finish, that goes out the door.

I also didn't say the SV approach was anything other than somewhat different from a traditional custom shop....not better or worse, just different, so please don't take any offense. To use a cliche', it is, what it is.

I don't have anything against a Sight Tracker style gun, but I don't see them as a significant advantage (for me). If other folks feel differently, more power to them and they should use whatever works best for them....which is why I first suggested trying both. I do see an advantage to a properly built and balanced 6" gun (again, for me), but it must be balanced properly to manage that. R,

As B.Diddy said, putting more weight in your hand gives different feeling.

I now run short framed pistols with stainless grip, and it feels better (to me) than the previous full profile pistols (Xcelerator cut on the frame, so a bit lighter than a regular full profile).

I still have a tungsten guide rod, I'm gonna experiment with steel guide rod.

The pistol is lighter on the nose while being heavier. It doesn't mean anything on my split times, but it means on my transition times.

And it looks sexier :goof: